college towns?

svilar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Peter said,CSU Sacramento, University of Pacific (private / expensive) or CSU Stanislaus are all in Central CA and close to 8 ski areas, climbing, hiking, and whatever outdoor activities you desire. 2 hours closer to Yosemite than Bezerkley. You are also close to the bay area if you really want to go there.

I haven't been there, but have a friend who graduated from U. of Wyoming. Very close to climbing at Vedauwoo (or something like that), but you better like cracks 'cause that's all they have. Not sure about the proximity of skiing or alpine climbing. It can't be ridiculously far away from Wind Rivers or Grand Teton NP.

Went to CWU in E-burg myself, unfortunately I was a musclehead and didn't take advantage of the outdoor rec opportunities. Don't forget nearby alpine havens of Stuart Range/Enchantments.

I hear what you're saying about Owens Valley, CA. Did a 4 day backpacking trip w/ my bro this summer in Muir Wilderness/Kings Canyon NP, looks like no shortage of awesome stuff to see and do.

As far as Alaska, I'm sure the campus at Anchorage has lots of stuff nearby. However I've been to the Fairbanks campus, and it didn't seem to be close to ANYTHING. It was half a day's drive to Denali NP if I remember correctly.

I went to UN Reno for awhile. Skiing at Tahoe 45 minutes up the road, Lassen and Shasta a couple hours north, eastern Sierras (crowded), and Yosemite within weekend striking distance. School's pretty run of the mill and you won't be able to go to the grocery store without escaping the dingle of slot machines. Go to Wyoming if you like rodeos.

D

Um, anyone been to Olympia? You know, the one South of Tacoma? I just might be biased but Washington is cool as hell and so is Evergreen. Where else can you walk in and say, "uh, look dude, I need to get a degree, am I in the right line?" Anyone have a graemlin with dreads???

Write your own educational game-plan, ski at White pass, climb at Tieton canyon plus all the other opportunities in Washington are within striking distance. BUT WAIT, THERES MORE!! If you call now you can drive not one, not two, but literally half an hour to the OLYMPICS! Anyone heard of 'em? They are the collection of bumps to the west everyone forgets about that offer some of the best wilderness travel, fishing, and yes, even climbing that this planet has to offer. Shhhhhhhh, don't let this one out OK you guys wink.gif" border="0

Don't overlook UNM - the University of New Mexico or as a good friend of mine calls it - the University of Nothing Much. Albuquerque is a real hodge podge as far as a town. You know, not much wealth, no great downtown, etc. You will find the Sandias 30 minutes away with a smaller ski area and enough climbing on high elevation rock to keep you happy. Plenty of other climbing within a reasonable drive. Unfortunately not the most inexpensive place to live. You are fairly close to Taos and the slow moving Rio Grande.

The other option in that state is New Mexico State in Las Cruces. I had a neighbor who went to graduate school there and loved it. Way off the beaten track but has some good opportunities. Reasonable academic reputation and friendly town. Not too far to El Paso, TX and Hueco Tanks (what is left there to climb/boulder).

SUU?!

Come on!

For all you non-Utahns (and no I'm not mormon so don't ask) St. George is the retired mormon capital of the world. Kinda like Florida for ultra-conservatives. There is nothing in St. George except for golf courses and a strip mall. I admit Moab and Vegas are close, but the heat (110 in July) and the locals would be unbearable.

The only good college in Utah is the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. You're 30 min away from Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, and Park City. There is Granite in LCC, Quartizte in BCC, and 10x the trad within the same distance from Seattle. Sport crags are throughout the Wasatch. Bouldering can be found out in Joe's Valley. Ice, desert rock, alpine, not to mention skiing and mtn biking, Utah has it all. Also, the central locatin of UT gives access within a day's drive to the Winds, Tetons, Vegas, all of Colorado, City of Rocks, even Oregon and WA.

I have to admit that living in a theocracry sucks. But if you stay away from BYU and any young men in a black suits, you should be left alone. Salt Lake even elected a Democrat for mayor recently.

I moving back when my stint here is done. WA is cool and all, but it doesn't have half the mountain oppurtunties UT has. [Moon]

Oh, by the way for, all those who care I'm back in the USA. I'm open to any drinking or climbing oppurtunties that come my way. cool.gif" border="0

I moving back when my stint here is done. WA is cool and all, but it doesn't have half the mountain oppurtunties UT has.

________________________________________________Someone needs to teach me how you guys get quotes in bold, official looking manner.

Anyway, I lived in Utah for 8 years and most of the above post is true and why I loved and even miss Utah. However, when it comes to real Mountains and alpine climbing, Wash has it all over Utah. Perhaps mtnrgr needs to get past exit 38 or index!

One option is to find a college "without walls" and live where you want. My wife is studying to be a Waldorf teacher and is getting her degree doing this through Goddard College in Vermont. She studies in our home!! She has basically written her own program and communicates with her professor through email and snail mail.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
As far as Alaska, I'm sure the campus at Anchorage has lots of stuff nearby. However I've been to the Fairbanks campus, and it didn't seem to be close to ANYTHING. It was half a day's drive to Denali NP if I remember correctly.

Think long and hard before moving to AK, especially Fairbanks. I've never lived in Fairbanks, but I've visited a freind of mine that lives there and it's a strange place. Not strange like Concrete's strange, not like Leavenworth, not like any remote town I've ever expereinced. The Fairnbanks regulars have been psychologically affected to deal with the winters, the cold, the bugs, the isolation... it sounds like paradise to mountain loving people, but it ends up being totally different than what you might think. OK, I've babbled enough. AK is weird, and probably different than the way you envision it.

This is for Mr. Will Strickland:

What is this sport "posing" that you are always referring to?  You must be good at it since you bring it up often and seem to know where it's happening.  Those "posers" in Boulder you mentioned must be people like Mark Wilford, Roger Briggs and John Sherman who, I seem to recall, attended CU.

Gosh, I wish I could be a polymath like you (or it is a maxipad? .. or whatever you call a font-of-all-wisdom up there in Seattle). 

Perhaps you would like to join us "posing" on the Naked Edge or something a little stiffer in Eldo next time you're in Colorado?    [Moon]

BigOnesHappy ImmigrantBasking in the 70 degree Sunshine This Weekend

BIGONES:

Good call. No offence to will strychnine, but boulder seems to be a plenty nice town. I have a suspicion Mr. Strickland just doesn't know enough about Boulder to appreciate what it has to offer. That's just a guess.

And yeah, there are a lot of posers, but I prefer to focus on having fun climbing rather than how much posers (don't) bother me.

Money? I drink Budweiser. It's cheap here too!

Girls. Nothing in WA compares. Oregon. Nope. Idaho? Nope. Cali..probably. But withthtis 70 weather mentioned above....

toodles.

Boulder hmmm. I lived there for three years. If all we are talking about is rock climbing (alpine, crag) then Boulder wins hands down. In fact I can't think of any place close. The weather is good for climbing most of the time too. There are a lot of hot college chicks there too, but I see hotties all over Seattle; their just dressed for the weather.

Skiing can be good too, but since Colorado is a desert state they never get a good base. Powder days rule but once the snow gets packed down watch out for rocks. I've never had the bases of my skis worked on so much as when I lived in CO. Also avalanche conditions are fucked up a lot of the time. Ice climbing is good, but it's so popular that a lot of the time it's like climbing a ladder.

Now we get to the negative. There are a lot of posers. They're anoying, but you can overlook them. The big negatives are; uptight east coast fucks(they really get to you after a while), and the job market really sucks if your not a high powered yuppy fuck. There are jobs, if you work in a restaurant you can get good tips, or if you do massage stuff you can bank; but if you want a regular job bend over and bite your lip.

I spent a few years there I climbed a lot and then I got the fuck out of that hellhole.

Boulder, CO. Let's see...never been there, but once at the City of Rocks my buddy ran into a couple of Boulder babes who stole his heart and nearly ruined our trip. That's right, before I knew it I was walking around the City trying to find my lost partner, who, come to find out, was sniffing around these Boulder babes, setting up top-ropes and such, trying to be as hip as they were.

I found them to be rather annoying, what with their self-righteous, post-1970's, adolescent-wanna-be-hippy charades. When my buddy called one of them from Jackson, some dude named Sterling or Sylvester answered the phone. Turned out that the little bitch was engaged to this guy, although she never mentioned it to my buddy during the three days he sniffed her out in the City. Then, weeks later she began calling my buddy, even sent him some plans for an "earth ship", a subterraneal hippy hut built with used tires and other recylables. Mildly attractive and excessively self-absorbed, she was the kind of girl who could benefit from eating a hamburger or at least shaving the vigorous bush growing from under her arms.

Hey, any yous guys had a similar experience with Boulder babes? Anyway, even if the gals are a bit crunchy, you've got Christian Griffith out there, inspiring us with artsy photos of bouldering in his panties and shaving his back in the tub. Yeah, Boulder is way out in front.

Climberbro, thank you for your support of the Olympics even if you can't spell worth a darn. Oh, and a meter is about 39 inches, a foot is 12 smile.gif" border="0

How come noone posts to this site with tales of the Olympics? People do actually travel in them, honest, I seen 'em! Anyone who has scrambled around in the upper Elwha or Quinault basins will NEVER forget their experiences!!!

Will, you must have been out on the peninsula right? sounds like you have been everywhere else. tongue.gif" border="0 I think even Beckey accidently drove up Hwy 101 once.............

quote:

Originally posted by BIGONES:
This is for Mr. Will Strickland:

What is this sport "posing" that you are always referring to?  You must be good at it since you bring it up often and seem to know where it's happening.  Those "posers" in Boulder you mentioned must be people like Mark Wilford, Roger Briggs and John Sherman who, I seem to recall, attended CU.

Gosh, I wish I could be a polymath like you (or it is a maxipad? .. or whatever you call a font-of-all-wisdom up there in Seattle). 

Nice troll. Never said there weren't good climbers and climbing there, just need a set of hip waders to get through all the trustafarian and yuppie bullshit and a truckload of money to afford the cost of living. And when you troll, you might want to get your facts straight...those Seattlites wouldn't claim me even if I did live there.

Hey, CO has way more 14,000' walkups than WA does, so that counts for something, right? Snicker, snicker.

I'm starting to get mighty curious about the Olympics myself. I've been out to Royal Basin a couple times in less than ideal conditions, some day I'll get out there in the summer and play around on the Needles and Mt. Deception (Fricaba was a beautiful, easy moonlit scramble). Yes, Fred made it out that way a few times for some FA's. Of course Fred has been pretty much everywhere. He's more omnipresent than Will Strickland.

As for AK, I heard this saying: You can't get there from here. Unless you have a canoe or a float plane or something. But roads, fuhgetaboutit.

quote:

Originally posted by max:
A question of internet ignorance: What is trolling?

Throwing a juicy outrageous statement out on the net and sitting back to see how many suckers respond to it(, like this smile.gif" border="0 As you would know if you weren't such a gay sport climbing Everset wannabe moondancer! rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Of course Fred has been pretty much everywhere. He's more omnipresent than Will Strickland.

Yeah, but that crusty old fart is like 108 years old, I'm only 28...give me a few years. You know that Tim Toula "Rock and Road" book? Well I'm on a mission to hit every area in it, and oh yeah...you misspelled omniscient

Damn, well I got the omni part right anyway. Hey, isn't that the name of the old basketball arena in Atlanta? Ever climb there?

But listen young man (I'm 29 so I can call you young), you'll be lucky if you're still alive at Beckey's present age, let alone getting out and about as much as he does, supplying climbing enthusiasts w/ a never ending supply of stories that begin "I ran into this grouchy, crusty old guy..."