Life-Link Randonee Rally

savaiusini

This may not be the best place to post this, but oh well...Does anyone else out there find it a bit ridiculous that they're charging a $50 per person entry fee this year? And if that wasn't enough, they also make you buy a lift ticket! I think last year the fee was $25 or $30ish, plus a lift ticket hellno3d.gif.Now it seens to me that the whole things is getting a bit out of hand. Why would any backcountry skiers want to buy a lift ticket when they aren't using the lifts? I was considering doing one or both of the races this year, but at $50 (I have a WA Pass, so thank goodness I don't need to buy a ticket), Life-Link can go jump in a lake. the_finger.gif I wont pretend to know what the operating costs of such an event are, but typically the staff is volunteer and the prizes are donated.My friend put it best: "If you want to go out and race me skinning, let's go...I won't even charge you!"So does anyone out there have any idea why they jacked-up the rate this year? hahaha.gifThere wern't that many competitors last year, so I'd think they want to attract more people rather than shun them away.

Is the Life-Link Rally Race over-priced?Yes: I think it's crapNo: I think it is reasonable

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder since they are charging so much if they are going to donate the proceddings to needy charities?? such as the ymca, ywca, boys & girls clubs and the such?

i brought this up last year with this same event. i wonder if it will change? especially now since they are asking for more money.

competition in solitary sports in my opinion loses the meaning of the sport.

I had been thinkin about entering this years race at Alpy or Stevens..but after I saw the cost of entering, forget about it.

Maybe we need to throw together a 'dirt bag' backcountry rally...possibly revive the old Silver Skis race on Mt.Rainier...get a bunch of wacky cheapskates together and do the mass-start chaos of fifty people skiing from Camp Muir back to Paradise.

I had been thinkin about entering this years race at Alpy or Stevens..but after I saw the cost of entering, forget about it.

Maybe we need to throw together a 'dirt bag' backcountry rally...possibly revive the old Silver Skis race on Mt.Rainier...get a bunch of wacky cheapskates together and do the mass-start chaos of fifty people skiing from Camp Muir back to Paradise.

pete_a hit the nail on the head. i would enter the lifelink race if a) it didn't cost more than $15 total and b) i wasn't doing some real bc or climbing that weekend.

i think the silver ski race declined for safety reasons which i can imagine. also, i think the race should be round trip from paradise (or some other route). but anyway i think there is a really interesting idea here. especially the cheap/fun approach. maybe a joke trophy?

yeah, I thought it was odd that the Silver Skis race was only a race on the way down...a round trip from paradise to muir and back...thats a good enough leg burner...and a mellow enough pitch that for all but pan face you really don't have to worry about avy danger.

So, perhaps a dirtbag rally is in order sometime this season.

...homemade trophy built from cans of rainier and h.c. mmmm!

Yeah! Of course, a proper Dirt Bag Rally would involve partying till 2 am the night before, sleeping on someone elses ratty couch, having an uncooked bagel with cream cheese and a landjaeger for breakfast, skiing some distance, chugging a beer and trying to light a damp bowl with a wet bic at the halfway point, and making it back before the bar closes, of course, in good style... bigdrink.gif

A quote from Arnold Lunn, pioneer British ski mountaineer and inventor of the modern slalom:

"I am by no means sorry that it is only piste competitions which

are eligible for Olympic medal rewards, and that the mastery of

real ski-ing on natural snow, with its exacting demands on the

mind no less than the body, remains the monopoly of those for

whom ski-ing is its own reward."

And:

"The highest form of skiing cannot, praise be to heaven, be

tested competitively. Olympic medals are not and should not be

awarded to ski mountaineers, for mountaineering is not a sport.

It is a vocation."

I have mixed feelings about rando rallies. I did the Alpental race last year and enjoyed it. I met some people and won a nice prize. But I think these races will become less fun for recreational skiers as time goes on--more oriented toward professionals, more competitive, and more commercial.

I haven't decided whether to enter any races this year. I think it will depend on whether I've got anything better to do that day, and how full my wallet feels. The $70 fee ($50 to enter, $20 for an unused lift ticket) seems too high. The notion that some of the fee is donated to local avalanche centers feels like a ploy.

I did some checking in old scrapbooks and I believe that the Silver Skis races were free to entrants. I'm sure that the first race in 1934 was. In those days the race sponsors actually sponsored the race.