Mt Hood

CraigA

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

I would not go up Leuthold unless it gets cold up there due to rock and ice funnelling right down onto you. The wy-east might be doable but watch out if lots of snow falls. You traverse alot of possible avy prone slopes on that route. I would just wait it out a couple of weeks

I saw a 6 day forecast last night on snow-forecast.com that suggests come Wednesday one might find clear/cold conditions, with highs around 12 at the ski area. That might make for a little fun on Hood. Of course, long range forecasts are only so good, and this winter has not been conducive to getting your hopes up.

Just have to wait and see what the weather will be like next week. I didn't mean to discourage you from going up though. You sometimes have to just go and see for yourself. I have gone many times when people said conditions were poor and made out just fine. After all, TG and I tried one of the hardest routes on Hood knowing it was about as out of season as it could get. That's how you get stories to tell the grandkids if you live to make some.

Yeah, like me last weekend on Hood, in the rain above the Palmer in a whiteout with winds a constant 40mph with gusts up to I don't know but I had trouble keeping balance range. If you listen to the weather man you would never get off the couch, but you can still suffer and get wet. Pretty miserable last weekend. Good luck with colder temps! Like others have said, watch the snow levels. If it starts freezing with the snow conditions and then fresh heavy snow dumps, it could create some serious avy conditions with the two layers.

Jason Gowans, Phillip Marble and I departed the parking lot at 5:30 am Friday January 7. We left snowshoes in the car because they were not needed. We put crampons on at the top of the Palmer Lift. We arrived at the summit at 1 pm. We met skiers Shredmaximus (Pat) and party from Portland on the way, wonderful, friendly people all.

Snow conditions were hard and wind packed in most places with a few icy spots showing. The bergschrund is almost completely filled in. It presents no significant obstacle. There was almost no wind all day long, even though it had been reported very windy the previous day. We returned to the parking lot at 5 pm tired and happy.

went up the ramp on the toe (meets up with Wy'East after some negotiation of the cliffs). Had to turn back because partner was not feeling well and had an aura of an oncoming migraine which can blur his vision! hellno3d.gif Nice direct alternative to Wy'East. All the fun, none of the slog, excellent exposure.