EIGHT EURO LEADERS CALL FOR UNITY WITH US ...

jja

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the goal never justifes the means. In fact the means fully condition the end result. Ergo, if you want to stop violent crime don't use violence to reach that goal (unless you are protecting life in the heat of the action). The death penalty sustains violence.

I'm actually on your side on this one, j-b, but it seems to me that you are confusing physical and moral equivalence here. Putting a sadistic murderer who has been proven guiltly beyond any doubt whatsoever to death, is not the same thing as that said murderer slaughtering his victims, nor is this the same thing as someone mistakenly knocking a rock off a ledge that kills someone below. All are physically equivalent to one another in that in each instance one person has taken another's life, but they are clearly not morally equivalent to one another. Police speed to stop speeding cars, use force to prevent someone from violating another person with force, use guns to kill snipers, etc, etc, etc - all acts that resemble one another physically but are completely different morally.

Having said that, I'll add that I am an opponent of the death penalty, but have no moral objection to putting a murderer to death if there is no doubt whatsoever about his guilt. The problem is that there are very few cases in which the evidence establishing the defendant's guilt meets this standard, and DNA evidence has brought to light a number of cases in which innocent men were on the verge of being put to death for crimes that they did not commit, and I'd rather this society keep all the guilty men alive before putting a single innocent man to death. There's also the fact that it's cheaper just to let killers rot in a cell for the rest of their life than it is to put them to death.

So while I can't support capital punishment in practice, I think that those who oppose it on the grounds that putting a murderer to death puts society on the same plane as the killer are using a transparent falacy in the place of arguments that would ultimately do more to advance their cause, and would thus well served by putting this one to rest.

"THE real bond between the United States and Europe is the values we share: democracy, INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM, HUMAN RIGHTS and the Rule of Law."

hahaha.gif Oh, is that because we put thousands of innocent people in jail each year based off what they choose to do with their own bodies and minds? Or perhaps the human rights bond is in the fact that our government still uses capital punishment? Yeah, you're right, we really value individual freedom and human rights! hahaha.gif

Colin....you spoiled little American. You need to do some traveling and see how most of the rest of the world lives. America is a work in progress. It is not perfect now, nor will it ever be. Maybe the drug and prostitution laws here can be reformed or capital punishment abolished...but not everyone agrees that they should, and ultimately in a democracy it tends to get sorted out. If this were a dictatorship, and you were in charge, we could it have everything JUST YOUR WAY. Right now, you're just 1 in 280 million, afloat in a sea of many visions of how things should be, and if you care enough, and convince enough people that you're right, there is a possibility things might change. So go ahead and post your little laughing gremlins, talk about how lame this country is (which is your right), but keep in mind how lucky you are to be able to bitch and initiate change.

- Dwayner

All the way, dwayner. I'm glad that people are bitching though. That's what I fight to protect. The right to bitch.