Metolius TCU's vs. Aliens (small sizes)

COL._Von_Spanker

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

dalius said:

OK, call me crazy, but it looks to me that this placement would just rip right the hell out. It's off of WildCountry's site. Am I wrong?

Zero_vert_crack.jpg

Zero Cam is specially designed to flex all the way to the head.

That placement would hold.

Any other microcam placed that way would RIP!

Whatever, I don't believe it. Somebody please explain to me how a placement like that could possibly hold. Has anyone ever actually placed one like this or is this just all book theory for everyone 'cuz nobody's actually gone out and tried it?

I bounced on one inserted into the rock wall at climb-On!!!

They rilly do hold a force at 90 degrees to the head.

Cable flexes right downm to the cams minimizing leverage

On a Alien the shaft flexes to like 1cm, from the cams then its solid, hence creating leverage

On a TCU the whole thing flexes minimally creating more leverage.

I see the ZeroCam as an Alien with no bad side

But for the thin, vert cracks TCU, or DMM 3CU probably just as good and cheaper

I just dont like aliens cause I think they get stuck easier, are harder to clean and get trashed faster.

aliens blow

i was just talking to my friend on the phone and he blew a yellow one yesterday on gripper.

aliens are not superior they just apply better in certain applications.

zero cams appear to be excellent aid pieces.

i would never trust my life one cam over another.

that is silly.

Szyjakowski said:

ehmmic said:

You can also send the Aliens into the mfg and they'll replace the trigger wires and stuff for like $17 ea.

you can do it yourself for like 17cents...they are robbing you blind. bigdrink.gif

Oh yeah? How? I can do most cams, but Aliens are a bit tricky, no?

catbirdseat said:

I had the pleasure of placing some Aliens for the first time on lead this weekend and everything they say is true. They go in like magic. They work where other cams will not. They save your butt from woe. Aliens rock!

I call BS. Have you extensively tested every other brand of cam there is or are you just comparing them to, f'rinstance, a #3.5 Camalot yellaf.gif

snoboy said:

Szyjakowski said:

ehmmic said:

You can also send the Aliens into the mfg and they'll replace the trigger wires and stuff for like $17 ea.

you can do it yourself for like 17cents...they are robbing you blind. bigdrink.gif

be creative.

snoboy said:

Szyjakowski said:

snoboy said:

be creative.

Nothing like the free exchange of ideas... rolleyes.gif

he talking out his ass and he knows it

catbirdseat said:

Dru said:

I call BS. Have you extensively tested every other brand of cam there is or are you just comparing them to, f'rinstance, a #3.5 Camalot yellaf.gif

Nope, I have not. I'm not claiming they are the best, just that I like them.
But you said

They work where other cams will not.

Please show proof. Use the back of your computer if necessary. State all assumptions.

Proof...just go do some aid climbing somewhere...anywhere really...

Take a set of Aliens up on a wall along with a set of TCU's or BD's for that matter. Then make your own descision about which works better. It's pretty common knowledge that Aliens will be way more bomber then anything else in flared crappy pinscars.

And that's regular aliens, I haven't even mention the offsets, nothing even compares!

Although I havent tried Zeros yet, they look pretty sweet too, pretty short stem/cable though...

• 7 months later...

Emmhic, Paco and I were having a discussion at REI climbing hardware department last night. We talked about the relative merits of TCUs versus Aliens and we covered the usual things about the TCUs being more durable, etc., Aliens supposedly being better for aid climbing, all stuff covered by this old thread.

I noticed a big difference is load capacities between TCU's and Aliens in the small sizes. Is it is real or just a matter of one manufacturer being more conservative in its ratings? If Aliens are better for aid, then why do they have the higher load capacity?

I've tried to group the cams below according to size. The Aliens all have a higher rating for their size.

Silver TCU 00, 8.9-14.5 mm, 4.4 kN

Blue Alien 3/8, 9.9-17.0, 9.3 kN

Purple TCU 0, 10.4-16.5, 4.4 kN

Green Alien 1/2, 12.7-17.0 mm, 11.6 kN

Blue TCU 1, 11.7-19.5 mm, 8.8 kN

Yellow TCU 2, 15.2-24.9 mm, 8.8 kN

Yellow Alien 3/4, 15.5-27.1 mm, 13 kN