Climber dies on summit of Denali

JoshK

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this makes me wonder... A few years ago a friend of mine died at 19k on Chimbarazo. He was about the same age, and strong as an ox, fit as a fiddle. The Equadoran coroner said that it was altitude induced heart arrhythmia. (I think I got that right). He was fine one minute, enjoying the scenery and the climb, then boom, fell over dead.

This is just weird.... My condolences to the NPS staff and guides who are dealing with both of these situations.

Another climber collapses, dies on McKinley

Published: July 8th, 2008 01:39 PM

Last Modified: July 8th, 2008 01:39 PM

The 2008 climbing season on Mount McKinley is winding toward its end with a string of bad luck for guide services and their clients.

National Park Service officials Tuesday announced the second death this week. Both men, climbing with different guide services, appeared to be doing fine on their way to the top of North America's tallest peak when they simply collapsed and died, according to observers.

The latest fatality, according to the Park Service, is 20-year-old Pungkas Tri Baruno from Jakarta, Indonesia. He was with a team of climbers from Mountain Trip descending the West Buttress route Monday night when he collapsed about one quarter-mile from the 17,200-foot high camp, according to park spokeswoman Maureen McLaughlin.

She said guides with Baruno immediately initiated cardiopulmonary resuscitation and immediately called for assistance from another guided team at high camp via family-band radio. CPR was performed for more than an hour, but Baruno could not be revived.

He was one of three clients on a Mountain Trip expedition that began its ascent June 22, the service said. Baruno, one of his teammates and two guides summited the peak Monday before beginning the descent.

Baruno's cause of death was not immediately known. His body was left at the 17,200-foot camp until it could be removed by a helicopter when weather permitted, the park service said.

He is the second man to die on the peak in a week's time. Climber James Nasti died after he suddenly collapsed on the Fourth of July at the mountain's peak. His body was buried there and will likely not be recovered because of the risk involved, according to the park service.

While I feel for people dying on am mountain far away from there family I don not feel for non climbers who feel they can pay there way to the summit of the highest mountain in North America just because they have fancy gear and a well paid guide service. Deaths like this might serve as a wake up call to those individuals who do not understand the dangers of such a high mountain.

I don not feel for non climbers who feel they can pay there way to the summit of the highest mountain in North America just because they have fancy gear and a well paid guide service.

This seems like an unrelated issue and supported entirely on conjecture. I have not so far seen or heard any evidence that these two deaths were in any way a direct product of the victims being guided clients and therefore inexperienced. Until I hear something contrary, I'm guessing based on what's been reported thusfar that both were victims of pre-existing congenital medical conditions of which they likely were not aware, particularly a 20 year old. This has happened before, not only on Denali but in other arenas. A very experienced Swiss guide died in his tent of a coronary in 1992 at 14K. Jim Fixx is another example.

Deaths like this might serve as a wake up call to those individuals who do not understand the dangers of such a high mountain.

It might, except that it appears that the dangers of Denali had, at most, peripheral involvement in causing these deaths.

You probably should wait until the bodies have actually been removed from the mountain and a COD established before jumping to conclusions, not to mention choosing a different venue in which to address your grievances.

I don not feel for non climbers who feel they can pay there way to the summit of the highest mountain in North America just because they have fancy gear and a well paid guide service.

This seems like an unrelated issue and supported entirely on conjecture. I have not so far seen or heard any evidence that these two deaths were in any way a direct product of the victims being guided clients and therefore inexperienced. Until I hear something contrary, I'm guessing based on what's been reported thusfar that both were victims of pre-existing congenital medical conditions of which they likely were not aware, particularly a 20 year old. This has happened before, not only on Denali but in other arenas. A very experienced Swiss guide died in his tent of a coronary in 1992 at 14K. Jim Fixx is another example.

Deaths like this might serve as a wake up call to those individuals who do not understand the dangers of such a high mountain.

It might, except that it appears that the dangers of Denali had, at most, peripheral involvement in causing these deaths.

You probably should wait until the bodies have actually been removed from the mountain and a COD established before jumping to conclusions, not to mention choosing a different venue in which to address your grievances.

My thoughts exactly!

Is it not the case that every climber on Denali is interviewed by a park employee? And wouldn't every guide service have some disclaimer/CYA regarding the dangers of climbing? I find it highly unlikely that climbers on Denali don't "understand the dangers".

Seems that if simply standing on the summit of Denali were that inherently life-threatening to those capable of getting there on their own power, then the casualties would amount to more than 1. Young healthy people experience sudden severe heart problems at sea level on a pretty frequent basis. It would seem that the summit of the highest mountain in North America is as (or less) likely a place to have a heart attack as the soccer pitch. But then I am also already making some assumption as to the COD, so I'll shut up too.

Is it not the case that every climber on Denali is interviewed by a park employee? And wouldn't every guide service have some disclaimer/CYA regarding the dangers of climbing? I find it highly unlikely that climbers on Denali don't "understand the dangers".

My experience in the 80s was before getting the permit we had to take part in an interview and watch a presentation that outlined the dangers of climbing. I've never been guided, but I don't believe guided clients are treated any differently.

I can see that folks might sit through the presentation then blow it off, but that applies to both guided and non guided climbers.