Sandy Headwall

texplorer

Greetings all,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post this sooner. And sorry there are no catchy pics as I am a poor person without a fancy digital camera. But. . .anyway had a classic day up on hood on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Saturday afternoon my partner redeemed his REI store credit for some Quark Ice tools and we headed up the mountain. After getting conditions beta from Crackman we decided on the Sandy Glacier headwall route. We made good time up to the saddle in cold weather since it was a clear night under a full moon. We dropped down onto the Reid and descended down next to the Yokum ridge. While downclimbing some crevasses on the Reid I saw an small avy on the opposite side of the glacier. We crossed the Yokum and had a nice spicy traversing downclimb through excellent alpine ice. Once on the glacier we headed up and leftward. As the gully narrowed spindrift blowing off the top of the mountain flowed down around us and off the rocks like crystal waterfalls. It seemed as if we climbed 50-55 degree slopes forever sometimes getting spindrift in the face. Finally we reached the summit ridge and found the usual Sunday morning crowds ascending the Bantam Death march route (aka south side). We could see from Rainier to the Three sisters. The most clear day I have ever had on hood. I was pretty tired we seemed to make it down rather fast. Back in the taco bell in Sandy I bit into a large 7-layer burrito only to have the roof of my mouth and throat feel on fire. I guess the UV was really high because I actually got sunburned on the roof of my mouth. Now, I'm recovered and eating jalapenos again and am ready for another spicy climb. Maybe I'll head up to smith for some spicy bolt clipping.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dietsch, are you talking about the upper buttress of cathedral or yokum or something else?

shred, I checked my watch and where it showed 8600ft I didn't see an obvious route over the ridge as it mentioned in the guidebook. I assume we descended another 300-400ft before crossing on several steps.

cantfocus.gif I was also referring to the standard question that must be asked before and after every sandy headwall venture, what elevation did you cross Dwight Yoakum ridge? nice climb tex! killer ski down isn't it...oh wait...hope you got a nice hike in around the the scenic palmer on the way down. fruit.gifpitty.gifpitty.gifpitty.gif