Cuba

flyingkiwi1

What the hell? There's no forum for Cuba trip reports. This is the all-time winter destination for those of us who seek sun, sand, limestone, and just about everything else you can imagine except advertising (think billboards with slogans of the revolution like somos lo misma - we are all the same - instead).

Seriously, I just returned from three weeks in Cuba, and it was my alltime favorite trip, climbing or otherwise. email me for more detailed info.

-- Ian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the climbing, but the saltwater fly-fishing rocks! That's what you get from a few decades of no boat ownership and lack of a fishing industry! Climbing in Cuba good? I could picture limestone cliffs, but sandstone? All the stuff I have climbed in the Carribean (small sport routes) have all been limestone. Beta?

I just returned from three weeks in Cuba, and it was my alltime favorite trip, climbing or otherwise. email me for more detailed info

No. I won't ask for details of your glorious trip in which you supplied hard currency to a regime that is starving its own populace. In other words, no somos el mismo, cabron.

RE-Oh Please - they are certainly no threat. Should the Washington Apple growers stop sending fruit to Russia? duh, no, it's good for the economy, all Cuba is a potential hotbed for American comerce. They'd love more North American travelers

Ok let's give money to a regime that treats their citizens the way they have for several decades now... Either way I view it fuck going to Cuba.

I didn't konw you were an expert in national security and the fair treatment of humans.

I'm not an expert at anything let alone national security (although I have worked on many defense missiles, systems and defense technology here at work) and I do know they are pretty defenseless. Their art work and music are magnificent, along with most of their tropical fruit. I just think it'd make an excellant place to freely go visit and exchange goods.

Edited by Ropegun2002

I'll start with this-

Here's harmless below. How quickly things are forgiven or is that forgotten?

http://www.fas.org/irp/dia/product/980507-dia-cubarpt.htm

Quoted-

"During exile commemoration ceremonies since Cuba shot down two unarmed U.S. aircraft in international airspace in February 1996, the Cuban government has acted with restraint. "

I've worked and shot missiles. WHo cares what you work on? Destruction does not mean hi tech. Did you hear about 9/11?

I guess you're right. I'm stupid to think of peace and economic growth, and enlightment. I should spend my time doing better things like joining the army going gun crazy, reading parinoid web pages and repeat the mantra - "kill kill kill"

Sorry I was so off base! Thanks for keeping me straight.

Threat of Attacks on U.S. Citizens and Residents

Cuban attacks on U.S. citizens or residents while they are engaged in peaceful protest in international airspace or waters currently appear unlikely.

During exile commemoration ceremonies since Cuba shot down two unarmed U.S. aircraft in international airspace in February 1996, the Cuban government has acted with restraint.

Conclusions

At present, Cuba does not pose a significant military threat to the U.S. or to other countries in the region. Cuba has little motivation to engage in military activity beyond defense of its territory and political system.

Nonetheless, Cuba has a limited capability to engage in some military and intelligence activities which would be detrimental to U.S. interests and which could pose a danger to U.S. citizens under some circumstances.

Edited by erik

Yeah you might be a better person for that. I am sure Fidel's going to let the economy prosper.

Poeple like you support others doing so only because you are secretly fueling your wishes for a cheap vacation or something similar. that can be viewed as worse than helping the economy. You got the problems of the world solved? run for president.

"I disapprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right of saying it" - Voltaire

I thought B. Franklin said the above, but I was wrong. Whatever. Point taken, and I quote Voltaire as an example to illustrate same. But I really didn't mean to initiate a discussion of the relative merits of political-economic systems, either. That would be a different forum on a different site, at least.

All I meant to say was, I really had a good time in this place, Cuba. I liked the climbing there a lot. If I offended anyone by unconsciously dropping a spin on my post, well, I guess that might have been inappopriate, and I apologize.

While I certainly think the cuban military/government is zero threat, it is true that giving them money only furthers their ability to enslave their own populace. There is a reason people leave Cuba by the boatload. We need castro gone, but solving other people's problems has gone become an afterthought since 9/11 and other "direct" threats have become a reality.

You don't necessarily have to give them too much money. I had friends who just spent a month down there after sailing there. Only thing they paid for was a minimal docking fee. They already had all of their supplies and to hell if they were going to drink the local water. They dealt with their saltwater converter on board, as nasty as it tastes....

Indeed, I did climb there, but you'll find more than I can tell you at www.cubaclimbing.com. The rock that I climbed, which was all in the Vinales area a couple hours by bus west of La Habana, was solid and surprisingly amenable to crack climbing techniques - fingers, hands, and so on. Having said that, it is limestone, so as you might expect it has some inherent portablity, and it's mostly pockets. I myself preferred the rock to that of either Ton Sai or Portrero Chico.

There are a few routes in the 5.7-10a range, but for the most part the climbing starts at solid 10b and ends beyond the grade at which my opinion means anything (10c). No, seriously, I climbed a 12a that I'd rate on a par with any 12a I've ever climbed; it's called Captain Hook, and it's in a cave above a salsa bar in a place called Palanque, not far from Vinales. The crux is consecutive hamstring-crunching heel hooks. The first time on it my right heel came out of my right Cobra and I was left hanging there a ways above the last bolt I'd clipped with one shoe on. It was amusing for everyone.

For sure, there are routes that are confirmed at harder - much harder - grades. But if you're like me and enjoy trying to onsight 5.11s, I think you'll be pretty happy in Vinales.

Although, honestly and without intent to judge or insinuate anything or anyone, the quality of the time I had climbing in Cuba was more a function of the extent to which I enjoyed the company of the Cubans with whom I climbed than it was a function of much having to do with the rock.

Maybe I'll pop some slides up when I get around to developing them. In the meantime, I really don't want to offend anyone for whom the existence of Cuba its present form raises issues. If you want to go, I think you'll have fun. If you don't want to go, don't go.

-- Ian