Robo leashes

freeclimb9

Why do the Robo leashes only come in one orientation? That is, why are they oriented for easiest use with the left hand only (the release tab is on the back of the right hand)? I thought I'd gotten a mixed up set of the leashes last year when I discovered both were identical, rather than mirror images. Frustrating, it is. Any clever solution?

Are Android leashes similarly made identically?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ONLY LIKE ONE LEASH AND THAT IS THE BD LOCK DOWN....IT IS BBY FAR THE EASIEST TO USE..AND SIMPLE...

I THINK ANYONE THAT USES THEM WOULD HAVE TO AGREE....

I HAVE CONVERTED SEVERAL CM PEOPLE AWAY FROM THOSE DUMB LITTLE DOUBLE TOOGLE LEASHES THEY GIVE AWAY FREE WITH THEIR TOOLS!

THOUGH I AM SURE IT ALL WORKS

here's a photo of the Robo: big_f02_robo_leash.jpg

Though it's not entirely clear from the image, the hanging tab --to be pulled with the teeth for releasing the leash-- is more easily reached when on the left hand than when on the right. I like to place pro with my right hand. So, my fix has been to use a Grivel leash that is much like the BD Lockdown, or the one on the DMM Fly. But that type of leash isn't my ideal since it comes off easily when unweighted (I wouldn't want to drop a tool and have it continue falling). Maybe I'll just go back to a slider style leash.

I have some problems with that leash as well. The loop of webbing that goes around the tool is so low that when I let the tool dangle, it catches on my thumb when I try to flip the tool back to my hand. Releasing the cuff with my teeth is hard because I can't get my hand out easily, maybe the entire cuff is too small. Also, that same loop of webbing makes it impossible to get my hand to the head, so I can't use the tool as a cane. Maybe I should just cut the loop off, and let the tool dangle when placing pro. And Caveman, what do you mean by inside out? The padding is on the inside. If you turn the cuff inside out, the padding is on the outside, and the D-rings are on the inside, and everything is screwed up.

This newer version of the Robo is far better than the original. I had one of the old ones (I traded TG for beer) they sucked, the hypalon wrist support was BS.

For waterfall I like the newer one, they are much more comfortable and easier to get in and out of, but have many of the same issues and yes I use them on old BP's. For me ... if BD moved the shaft loop up a couple of inches they would be perfect ... enough freedom to grab/mantle on the top of the tool and still eliminate leverage .... looking at the Yates Hand Cuff design but you have still issues.

Like Ian for alpine I prefer a slider, I use them setup long and do the "old school" wrap around the shaft. My favorite is an old one made by JRAT (remember them) which has a full strength biner loop just above your wrist

I like the older Lockdown leash better than the new ones...

The multicolered webbing was thicker and "fuzzier," so they did't "loosen when unweighted" as easily. I almost dropped a Cobra on Saturday because the newer style lockdown loosened up and I didn't notice.

Lockdowns have been my favorite since they came out in 97 or so, but the Android is growing on me quickly, too bad it has that crappy Robo tightening system, which never seems to stay tight. Haveta take 'em off when going to the mountains though, and thats a pain in the ass. If you can only afford one, go with the lockdown, it's more versitile. Don't buy Robo's the wrist loop thing sucks.

Yes, the Androids are identical as well, and the Lockdown...

The Androids don't matter so much maybe, coz you don't need to get the hand out of the wrist strap. The Lockdown can be turned "inside out" to make a left handed leash. In fact that's what it says to do on the tag! eek.gif

I guess the robo is just a dumbed down version of the android. frown.gif

RE-I think most people have figured out that you have a strong feeling against all BD gear. Would you explain in great detail why?

I dont have any strong feelings "against" bd gear. I just think it's usually not the best for "my" purposes. I own some black diamond products and some of them work fine. They do have nice ice screws and the rage seemed nice until the recall. I just find that most of my other gear has good things about them.

All the new inventions for their leashes seem to have cool intentions but I don't like them. For instance - the rage is just the same thing as the years old light machine. tongue.gif

the old BD leashes are much better than the new. well, not really but it sucks they got rid of the french-tapered webbing in favor cheaper design using tape webbing and padding.

i like the androids for ice cragging. however, i have modified them a bit: i adjusted the length to be at about thumb-reach and sewed a piece of plastic to the webbing. this makes clipping back to the tool much easier. also, i added some velcro to keep the pull-tab from wrapping around screws. this is especially annoying with grivel 360 screws.

for alpine i use the EMS twist leashes. great for moderate ice, easy to transition from ice to rock, and they are cheap rockband.gif.