Your gear museum

olyclimber

I was born in a house on Lake Sammamish built by Big Jim, and my folks ended up with this vintage ice axe from the Everest years. I think its only a few inches shorter than I am.

Ice_Axe_small_.jpg

Very cool.

That looks like the very same type of axe that Jim carried up Mt Everest. I can't imagine he would have let that one go, but maybe he had several of them.

1963-Everest-JWhittaker.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These state-of-the-art crampons were available from REI in the 1940s. My Dad used them on the Washington volcanoes in his school years. Those are the original rawhide straps, steel rings, and otherwise forged iron frame and points. They are stamped with the lettering, "GESCHUTZI BHEND 43 Made in Switzerland".

DSCN4108.jpg

DSCN4114.jpg

DSCN4113.jpg

DSCN4115.jpg

These state-of-the-art crampons were available from REI in the 1940s. My Dad used them on the Washington volcanoes in his school years. Those are the original rawhide straps, steel rings, and otherwise forged iron frame and points.

I love how those crampons have curved hooks for lacing up the straps, instead of rings. I don't think I've seen that before. Very elegant design.