uva rape culture

ivan

am i the only cavalier round here? kinda feels that way. gawdamn, seems our sweet university can't content itself just to be shitty at sports these days, we gotta go out n' fine new ways to suck. :)

surprised them professional news boys ain't made the connection yet - doesn't seem so hard - our school was founded by a confirmed rapist (n' third president of the usa), no? :P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i believe more than a few folks called jefferson that

i actually remember wandering through that house a few times - pretty much all the "stat-frats" off the mad-bowl we're chock full'o'assholes - never heard anything about gang rape in my 5 years then, but remember one of them houses on the mad bowl getting in deep shit for an ante-bellum theme party they threw where they hired black homeless guys to pick up cotton-balls out in the yard - jesus h christ, how'd that shit not invite the kiss of death? the small houses like mine were generally chill places w/ moderate sized egos though - worst we ever did was throw an easter party w/a life-sized paper-mache jesus wine dispenser on a cross :)

virginians have been raging shits since way back - it was like, in all the papers :)

crazy shit to be sure and i'll be happy when it's a thing of the past, just can't imagine how or when that'd ever be - hard to take the asshole out of human beings, especially in the sweet sunny south

• 2 weeks later...

did we? i just wanted to make the snarky comment that my school was founded by a rapist so it shouldn't be so shocking if his students turned out that way too :)

i certainly hope the fellers in that house didn't do what RS has now said they think they didn't - my point was that, at least when i was there, that house and the handful around it were in fact peopled by raging assholes which wouldn't have suprised me at all if they'd in fact done something so evil - the cotton-ball story i related above i saw w/ my own eyes, so i at least have confidence in that :)

The notion that "well, it fits my worldview therefore it must have really happened that way" works for certain things, I suppose. Still, the narrative can't be held higher than facts when it comes to things like this. Ferguson is another case in point. Duke lacrosse, ditto. Lefties seem particularly fond of the media trial these days. Probably part of the reason no one's gonna trust em to run the whole show. Like, ever.

Edited by Fairweather

Lefties seem particularly fond of the media trial these days.

since when did both sides (and the middle) NOT love a media trial? the phenomenon is as old as mass media itself - leopold and loeb? mccarthy hearings? oj? jesus' crucifixion? :)

it makes little sense to criticize folks for assuming the truth of a current event b/c it fits their world view - that's like, ya know, how the animal brain works, no? i hold myself out as an example in this situation, but as an example too of how that instinct doens't have to be bad: i knew the house and the culture from direct experience - i couldn't be surprised at the initial story because it DID fit my direct contact w/ those things - but i didn't fling poo directly at anyone invovled b/c this SPECIFIC incident was one that i couldn't have such direct knowledge of. again, like the fergouson thing, the validity of the specific incident is not necessarily relevant to the underlying truth of the general reality: uva (and colleges in general) ARE places were sad shit like rape occurs, largely b/c the culture there is one that favors getting wasted and doing stupid shit :)

as an adult woman I went to dinner with a man and went back to his place to check it out. he proceeded to tell me that because I came back to his house i had to have sex with him. I bailed faster than I can fall out of cruel sister in the smith rock gorge. Yikes that was almost a really bad situation. I was in my 30's and was very nearly date raped. had I not been Muffy and not been 30ish that could have turned out really differently.

I live in a college town. everyone knows rape happens. what is sad is that no one wants to talk about it. hell that was the first time I told that story. I should have smeared his name all over the place, but not even i did that. I will say that person stopped posting on cc.com at least using the same avatar.

as an adult woman I went to dinner with a man and went back to his place to check it out. he proceeded to tell me that because I came back to his house i had to have sex with him. I bailed faster than I can fall out of cruel sister in the smith rock gorge. Yikes that was almost a really bad situation. I was in my 30's and was very nearly date raped. had I not been Muffy and not been 30ish that could have turned out really differently.

I live in a college town. everyone knows rape happens. what is sad is that no one wants to talk about it. hell that was the first time I told that story. I should have smeared his name all over the place, but not even i did that. I will say that person stopped posting on cc.com at least using the same avatar.

you met him on here? i thought climbers were all warm and fuzzy liberals, deep in the trenches, battling the war on women :P

you met him on here? i thought climbers were all warm and fuzzy liberals, deep in the trenches, battling the war on women :P

I have met many climbers on here. all but one were respectful and actually kind smart and amazing men. I have had a few stop off at my house on the way somewhere else to get a nights rest. One even watched my kids for six months or so. it is not the site, I was the person. the dinner was not a date I just happened to be in town. it was someone I had climbed with and had a buddy relationship with.at least that was what I thought.

being a climber does not preclude one from having respect for women.