Freeway Gun Show instant classic (you decide)

Cpt.Caveman

http://www.climbingwashington.com/classics/freeway.htm

(You can make the route 5.10 if you purposely avoid using one particularly chiseled-looking hold. Maybe the rock just broke out that way during cleaning, like some of the other nice edges along the way.)

While climbing, enjoy the sounds of nearby freeway traffic, and if you're lucky, gunfire from the quarry across the valley.

The route would get four stars except for the fact that it has a few too many bolts.

Hopefully when the crews come to develop other routes on the slab they will make the runouts a little more sporting.

fruit.gif

Seems like it got downrated by Smoot grin.gif

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of climbing areas near freeways come to mind. Rocky Butte in Portland is one of the worst I've ever encountered. When I saw the header for this post I immediately thought you were referring to a crag in Salt Lake City (can't remember the name) that is right across canyon and freeway from a gun range. Very disconcerting to hear caps popping whilst working a sketchy move.

Chipping holds with a .45?

Freeway climbing can be fun. When I lived in Oxnard, CA (town slogan: "more than just a pretty name"), I used to spend quite a few lunchbreaks cranking the two short (25') finger cracks formed between forms of a Hwy 101 onramp retaining wall. One of them had a tough tips section that always forced me to dyno for the lip; Caught a lounging lizard's skull under a fingertip one time. I ignored the squirming sensation, and pulled up eye level to the lip to see the bloody carnage. Some splatter, and a corpse that kept twitching after I was able to move my hand. There were some glued on pebbles for climbing too. Some years later, CalTrans painted over the place with graffiti-washable paint. Upped the difficulty, apparently.

In San Diego, I've climbed under I15 on some pretty desperate crimpers, and in Bakersfield I've done some other glued-on traverses on bridges over the Kern river (it's humbling to be given beta by a wino). And there's supposed to be many climbs in smelLA.

The spectacle of climbing on freeways highlights the absurdity that the sport can generate.

After the hype-fest last fall I went out and climbed this route by approaching the wrong way hopefully the new guide shows the better way. My verdict: it was ok. I was expecting an over-the-top bolt mess but it wasn't so bad. Certainly some of the bolts could have been omitted but so could some of the bolts on most bolted routes. If I hadn't read critical comments about the number of bolts I wouldn't have even thought about the issue.

The climbing is mostly on medium-to-large edges with a hint of friction thrown in at the crux. The hold that Smoot refers to as "possibly chipped" was certainly beat on with a hammer. The odd thing is that the route is only a bit harder when it is avoided all together, so maybe the rock was a bit decomposed there.

The gun fire seems no worse the day I was there than at Index and the route is much further away from the highway than the Fun Forest. The leader can see the belayer form the top by leaning out.

The sunny exposure and fun well protected climbing will make this route popular - I bet it would be fun today. To say it is the best, or even one of the best, slab pitches in Washington is an exaggeration. This claim might backfire by creating unreasonable expectations. Go to the site Northbendclimbing.com and check it out. Seems that there is a new 5.8 route nearby. I honestly don't even remember what the rock in that area looks like but if you are looking for a moderate face routes to do close to Seattle I can't think of any better ones that are easily accessible.

Speaking of Freeway climbing, the new massive interchange they are building over I-90 in Issaquah will have some sweet after work bouldering on it. Those artsy-fartsy leaves carved into the wall will be cool to climb on and the wall is high and textured.

--------------------------------------------

I walked to the base of the FWGS slab before it was bolted and should have come back for it. The slab looks very classic in my humble opinion.