Telemark ski demo days Tues Weds- Jan 7 & 8

Beck

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two replies for the price of one:

First, about Hood tele demo days, ask and you shall receive: Just found out that the first of 4 "Tele Tuesdays" is tomorrow night (1/7) at Ski Bowl. Demos and a different race each night. Tomorrow is the uphill/downhill (skin to top, ski down).

Call the Mtn Shop for the other three dates.

Second, the Hammerhead is far and away the best tele binding on the market and gives me hope that after like 20 years there is finally a real tele binding out there. Slightly heavier than most but can go from having the minimal resistance of a 3-pin (or AT binding, opps!) on the up to easily the most control on the way down. You can make up for the weight by using a lighter pair of boots. What's doesn't make any sense is how heavy boots have become while bindings have remained wimpy. Two years of production and Rainey doesn't even sell spare parts for the HH cuz you don't need them! I'll take a little weight over replacing the crap that dinosaur tele industry has been pushing ("don't try alpine skis, what you really need is a skinny, soft, non-cap, real "tele" ski). Wait a few years and the rest of the industry will "adopt" many of Rainey's HH innovations (like they did with his first binding: compression springs, stainless steel plates, non-standard hole patterns, etc.).

How's that for off topic?

On the tele-tips site you sometimes hear "man if we could just get rid of the duckbill boot with a new binding" and "it would be nice to havea binding with the option to put the heel down occasionally". Now wait a minute I've seen those somewhere before! hahaha.gif

what will happen in a few years when the devolution is complete and tele gear completely morphs into alpine gear?? Can these two worlds really become one? Will Phish release a Limp Bizkit tribute? Will hemp clothing be available in day-glo colors?

Regarding telemark boots and the disadvantages of the 75mm Nordic Norm sole that has long been the standard :

Paul Parker, the designer of the Scarpa T1 (now designing boots for Garmont!) has been working with the euro boot manufacturers to cooridinate a switchover to the NTN (new telemark norm) boot sometime in the next couple of years-

don't hold your breath for the new system, i'm betting it is going to be a problematic one.

why wait to enjoy the outdoors? The telemark turn is the way and the light, the most pure and intimate way to connect with the snow, travelling over great masses of white, surfing a sublime dance across the frozen landscape. fruit.gif

Come out for Demo days today at Stevens Pass, tommorrow at Snoqualamie Pass and ski the latest gear.

wait a few years and the rest of industry will have introduced the new secret system they've been cooperating on, the one that eliminates the duck-bill boots.

Yeah and a few years after that manufacturers will fix the final problem with Tele skis by locking down your heels. laugh.gif

please excuse the religous sound to the tele mantra above, i was just trying to be descriptive.

i think the demo was at summit West, couldn't really tell due to the heavy fog bank that covered Snoqualamie pass- at least it wasn't foggy AND rainy!