Winter on Hood

sketchfest

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Hood is a very safe place to be during or immediately after a storm. Every slope (even the Hosback up to Pearly Gates on SS - saw a 10ft fracture crown there once) is an avalanche waiting to happen, and visibility is very poor. Give it a few days after bad weather for slopes to slide or to settle and consolidate.

That said, I've climbed both the Reid and Sandy Headwall in winter and both were very enjoyable - no crowds, interesting climbing, good views.

Ditto on what Alex said. I have a friend who rode a slide out on TDH mountain. I've triggered some tiny slabs on Hood myself. Don't be messin' with avy danger on Hood.

Any route on Hood can be climbed in winter conditions, some are even safer at that time. Depends on cajones and experience. I've climbed the lower portion of Yocum, Sandy, SS, and Leutholds in winter conditions. I prefer Hood with snow as opposed to without.

Jefferson is rumored to be pretty cool in winter but a longer time committment.

Close to Portland, Mt. St. Helens is pretty fun in winter.

Rob

Yo Sketch chill. Park it back in the barn. As the Brothers said above, ain't nothing safe to climb on that hill in these conditions. All the junkies are jonesin. You're not alone in this dilemma. To ease the pain take continuous bong hits interspersed by copious amounts of alcohol. I'll be at Paddy's downtown after work taking my medicine. Stop by.