Ice tool modifications?

fleblebleb

Anybody have ideas for putting a sticky surface on ice tool shafts?

I experimented a little bit with hockey tape (thanks Lambone). It's really sticky and great for anything except alpine climbing, but it's textured so snow clings to it - big minus. One cool thing about it was that by varying the number of wraps I could tailor the thickness of the grip to fit my hand exactly. Also was durable, easy to wrap/unwrap, and cheap - ca. $2/roll, one roll covers a shaft nicely.

There is an article by Will Gadd in the latest Climbing, he mentions people putting "skateboard grip" on their shafts, but I have no idea what that means. Is it the surface on top of the board? Where would I get some?

Anybody tried glueing rand rubber on shafts?

The Grivel Top Wing and old Top Machine (or maybe it was the Light Machine) has a really good grip surface but it comes off with time - anybody have an idea how to put that kind of surface on a shaft?

Don't laugh too hard at the question folks, I'm just a bit of a sucker for tinkering with things wink.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember a "tech tip" in an ancient issue of Climbing magazine on this issue. The author reccomended using a tuoluene-based rubberizing goo to cover tool handles with, adding a shoelace beneath the goo to give more texture. Rand rubber (I assume you are talking about rock shoe rubber) probably wouldn't work, IMO. It is too hard for good adhesive properties. And wet rock shoes don't stick very well. Good luck.

There is a tape that might work for you, but it's not cheap. It is used, among other things, for putting a water tight wrap over electrical connections.

You wrap it on tight, and it actually bonds to itself, and becomes kinda one piece. I can't remember the name of it, but most hardware and auto part stores seem to have it. $10/roll or so!

link.gif Tool dip might work too.

The guys at the local hardware store (Hardwick's, U District, they're super) suggested tool dip but it would be a big hassle - tricky to apply plus extra nuisance waxing the spike to make sure the dip would only adhere to the grip.

I thought watertight taping usually involved teflon? Teflon will bond to itself and definitely doesn't absorb water, I'd find it hard to believe snow would cling to it either. But I think it's very slippery, and if that's true then it wouldn't make for good grip material.

Thanks guys! I don't really care so much about wearing my gloves out, I mean, I'm happy to rap with them and that's definitely a lot of wear right there. Do you guys know where I could get some of this tape, or maybe know a product name so I could google and try to order some on the web? Would appreciate!

The hockey tape I tried is called Powerflex, I ordered a few rolls from http://www.hockeymonkey.com/. I'd definitely use that if I could do any water ice or sport mixed climbing or something like that but I don't expect I'll be able to take off from Seattle for very long this winter, so I want to find something that plays nicer with snow.

Play it again sports, great! I'm going to try it, but it might be a nuisance to get it off. I think the best grip surface I've seen is what the Grivel Top Wing has, and that's somewhat abrasive. If snow doesn't stick to it then it might be cool.

The self-vulcanizing tape sounds better though, I found lots of web references, but I can't seem to find a place to buy a roll or two for a decent price. I only need 10-12' or so. The stuff is used for various car repairs and I'm going to ask the guys at the garage where I take my car, maybe they'll know.

I brought the leashes with me but they stayed in the pack. Instead I tried a retainer system pms explained to me. It was way cool to be able to get the tools out of the way, I always seem to get all tangled up in my leashes, but I hadn't figured out a way to securely stash the tools which made for some goofy moments (like, dropping both tools upside down while leading through a steep section, and of course the picks hooked on something and I had to stop and futz - I actually dropped a mitten at that point hellno3d.gif)