snowblade for approach???

iceaxe23

I just ordered some snowblades with silveretta like bindings and heel lifters. they come with skinns too...I know the euros use them but have any of you have had any luck with them or tried them...I got the Rossignol Free Venture Expedition ones. I was going to get snow shoes but like useing my (falling apart) GI issue all terrian skiis with skinns. but they are very large and get in the way on the climb so I have seen this tiny skiis and thought I would try them..I have been having a hard time finding any info on these snow blades that are made for climbing. thanks for any help

expeditionenlarged.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, these may NOT work very well in the Midwest, if you are heading up to Grand Marais for ice climbs, or anywhere around the Laurentian Shield up thataways,

back in my youth, mucking around the wilds of the north Country, we'd use 10x50 inch Alaskan snowshoes for multi day trips, and still sink in under backpack loads...

best to use those in the spring,as Jhamaker recommends, you'll more than likely need more flotation for the typish snows found by climbs(?) back there. Say, do they still make "Sprecher" brew?

That's funny, we were just talking about these funny little things last night. Are there any skins available for them, or would one need to make/modify?

They seem absolutely ridiculous for inbounds skiing, but could be a lot of fun in the BC, IMO. I'd like to hear more about this from anyone who has tried them.

the snowblades come with skins as standard equipment, Allison.

they will be sufficient in an already existing skin track, or spring snow, as already mentioned, but will totally suck for unconsolidated/powder approaches. If you get some, have your friends with traditional skis break trail.