Northwest Buttress of Stuart Descent Question

luvshaker

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction would be 'why?'. My memories are fuzzy after having attempted it two decades ago (I think. We attempted the buttress climber's right of SGC), but as I recall it was not the easiest thing to bail down. Sherpa Glacier is the typical descent if the Mountaineer's Creek approach was used and the Cascadian Couloir descent if the Ingall's Lake approach was used. Neither is 'fun' in their own special way but neither one is technical either.

Edited by DPS

Descending the Cascadian and slogging all the way back around over Goat Pass and across the Stuart Glacier (at night most likely) is a heck of a long journey. That supposes you did the more common and direct Stuart Creek approach. 'Took me and TomTom about 23.5 hours back in the day. Maybe we just suck.

I've descended the NW Buttress after climbing Razorback Ridge. If your're coming from the summit, you'll have a couple raps down the west ridge, before you can scramble to the top of the NW Buttress. We had a couple of raps on the upper part of the NW Buttress and lotsa downclimbing before touching the snow on the glacier. At least from Razorback Ridge it made for a good descent and allowed us to do the climb in a day.