• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
pdepape

Mixed/dry tooling area recommendations

Any good recommendations for beginner dry tooling areas? (I just moved to the area)

Would like to start with TR; Near Tacoma/Seattle.

Anything good off of Exit-38?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank's guys.

Edited by pdepape

yes, there is some basic drytooling up at 38' called "Blackice Drytoolong crag", basically a set of kind of slabby, junky TR problems no one cares about wrt crampon marks.

there is also a 2-3 line crag just outside issaquah on SR900 on sandstone of all things, with long but somewhat obscure local history, but with decent enuff stone and bolts (re)placed by yours truly that should make it safe to both tr and lead

there is kind of more real drytooling at Rap Wall up at Alpental, btu snow is deep now so your mileage may vary

Any drytooling closer to Seattle? I know 38 is pretty close but I have near zero free time and want to stay in some kind of shape. May just have to put a board up in the back yard...

The closest crag is the one Alex mentioned above on SR 900 toward Renton about 2 1/2 mi from I-90. A few good full rope length routes with TR chains. Good for endurance training, and not as boring as the plywood at home.

Some history about the dry tooling area on SR 900. Alex and I were working construction together some 16+ years ago. Driving by we stopped to take a look and do a bit of bouldering. There were top rope bolts and some really poorly placed 1/4" protection bolts. Some time later I convinced Alex to check it out again for dry tooling potential. He saw potential and cleaned and bolted it for leading.

The Mountaineers clubhouse basement has a large dry tool practice gym.

Stone Gardens has a few outdoor routes too.