Violence Against Women Act

tvashtarkatena

Count em - ZERO GOP members of the house in support.

This law, which was enacted in 1994 - and re-authorized twice since then, has probably done more to protect women from domestic violence, date rape, and stalking than any other single piece of legislation in history.

And why doesn't the GOP want to re-authorize it?

You guessed right: the new version extends protection to same sex couples.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, every law has a "if you vote against this you love to drown puppies in their own blood" title. Some are, of course, smokescreens. The USA Patriot Act comes to mind.

This isn't one of those bills. This is the bill that instituted the mandatory arrest rule for domestic violence calls, which not only has provided huge leverage for abused people to protect themselves in the home, but also cut way down on frivolous domestic violence calls.

The ACLU supports the bill, but advocates that DNA samples are taken upon conviction, not merely arrest. This is part of a an more comprehensive set of policies regarding the safeguarding of vital, private information. Innocent until proven guilty/due process and all that.

Will someone please let the GOP know that it has lost the War on Gays? Karl Rove may well be that person. It's amazing how quickly a candidate shuts the fuck up when you threaten to cut off the money.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Now, every law has a "if you vote against this you love to drown puppies in their own blood" title. Some are, of course, smokescreens. The USA Patriot Act comes to mind.

This isn't one of those bills. This is the bill that instituted the mandatory arrest rule for domestic violence calls, which not only has provided huge leverage for abused people to protect themselves in the home, but also cut way down on frivolous domestic violence calls.

The ACLU supports the bill, but advocates that DNA samples are taken upon conviction, not merely arrest. This is part of a an more comprehensive set of policies regarding the safeguarding of vital, private information. Innocent until proven guilty/due process and all that.

Will someone please let the GOP know that it has lost the War on Gays? Karl Rove may well be that person. It's amazing how quickly a candidate shuts the fuck up when you threaten to cut off the money.

Nice Disclaimer mister :)

i don't stalk creepy un-groomed artist, i've been told that trashy is a little on the creepy stalky side himself when it comes to women :) don't know if you ever have watched "californication" before but he reminds me of "the guru" dude in the second season ;)...

Violence is wrong against anybody anyway you slice, that includes being a dickhead in spray trashy.....

[video:youtube]

So it took her half of the video before she even started making her point. Yeah yeah yeah, sometimes they put pretty names on a bill to make it look bad if you vote against. Is that why you're against this one, cause it has a pretty name? Yawn. Next.

So then she gets into her "points":

1) this is just about giving money away to people who voted the congressmen in

LOL! She doesn't even back that up.

2) It's against the 10th amendment

That is the most retarded interpretation of the 10th amendment I've ever heard. "If something is not specifically mentioned in the Constitution, it's not a federal issue." Does she have down syndrome or something? Passing legislation dealing with domestic violence (or any long list of federal crimes) is well within the constitution authority of the legislature.

3) It's a redundant law

Um, not it's not. Did she even read the contents of the bill?

4) Simply annoying your spouse is domestic violence, according to the bill

Um, again -- did she even fucking read this?

5) 50% of domestic violence is mutual

"She had it coming, officer!"

6) If you need the federal government to fix domestic violence, you're doin' it wrong

But, if you want to use the federal government to block gay marriage, you're doin' it right

Pink, why do you post this stuff? I got fucking dumber just watching it. Are you for real?

Jesus christ, it's like watching a cuter, dumber Ayn Rand. All emotion, no substance. It makes me physically angry to see people this dumb.

Fuck pink, stop spreading this retarded shit, it's like a virus that makes people stupid.

:anger:

OMG THE CONSTITUTION DOESN'T SPECIFICALLY MENTION LAWS AGAINST ESPIONAGE!!!! 10th AMENDMENT VIOLATION!!!! IT SHOULD BE HANDLED BY THE STATES!!!

what a fucking tard. I'm going to be angry all night now, and I'm going to think of you, pink, while I rage

he seems angry too me, calling a girl a retard could be misconceived as violent. everyone is entitled to their opinions but women are helpless after all and calling a female a retard because you disagree with them could get you in trouble someday mister.

Edited by pink

hey, I'm not lazy

no you're not even close to being lazy, and i can tell you're a good daddy and a good citizen but like trash you like calling people retards that don't share your position. i hope someday somebody doesn't call your daughter a retard because she feels strongly about something.

I think she was called a retard because of the abject ignorance of her beliefs, not the strength of her convictions. Seems like more of an observation than a judgement, really.

Ignorance, like violence, isn't a good thing for a society. It shouldn't be coddled, rewarded, or encouraged.

Unless Idiocracy is what your after, that is. Given the GOPs platform, a kristian form of just that seems to be the end game.

hey, I'm not lazy

no you're not even close to being lazy, and i can tell you're a good daddy and a good citizen but like trash you like calling people retards that don't share your position. i hope someday somebody doesn't call your daughter a retard because she feels strongly about something.

You'be become boring, repetitive, and stupid again. Get your sense of humor back, por favor. I wamt the old Pink who had an ounce or two of clever in him once in a while.

Count em - ZERO GOP members of the house in support.

This law, which was enacted in 1994 - and re-authorized twice since then, has probably done more to protect women from domestic violence, date rape, and stalking than any other single piece of legislation in history.

And why doesn't the GOP want to re-authorize it?

You guessed right: the new version extends protection to same sex couples.

Enacted by Bill Clinton, the same guy who placed a cigar up a womans va-jay-jay while married, now that's some creepy shit. So much for the sanctity of marriage :)

I think she was called a retard because of the abject ignorance of her beliefs, not the strength of her convictions. Seems like more of an observation than a judgement, really.

Ignorance, like violence, isn't a good thing for a society. It shouldn't be coddled, rewarded, or encouraged.

Unless Idiocracy is what your after, that is. Given the GOPs platform, a kristian form of just that seems to be the end game.

yeh i'm not really down with the GOP and i don't get them impression she is either...

hey, I'm not lazy

You'be become boring, repetitive, and stupid again. Get your sense of humor back, por favor. I wamt the old Pink who had an ounce or two of clever in him once in a while.

an insult followed by a quasi compliment? since when did you become passive aggressive?