Gun Control

kevbone

Its comical how you dehumanize and villafy anyone on the other side of your extreme position; then attempt to discredit the moderates who seek to find common ground. Like a sad liberal internet version of Karl Rove.

Please. The range of "debate" in America has been so skewed towards gun ownership and gun lobby talking points for so long that when anything remotely sensible relative to standards in place elsewhere are brought in, they're bound to seem extreme. Considering the scope of the problem, it might help to "think outside the box". As far as common ground with NRA types goes, I'd love to see them put something that isn't insulting, offensive, or cravenly self-serving on the table. Sorry if you got dehumanized.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its comical how you dehumanize and villafy anyone on the other side of your extreme position; then attempt to discredit the moderates who seek to find common ground. Like a sad liberal internet version of Karl Rove.

Please. The range of "debate" in America has been so skewed towards gun ownership and gun lobby talking points for so long that when anything remotely sensible relative to standards in place elsewhere are brought in, they're bound to seem extreme. Considering the scope of the problem, it might help to "think outside the box". As far as common ground with NRA types goes, I'd love to see them put something that isn't insulting, offensive, or cravenly self-serving on the table. Sorry if you got dehumanized.

how's the job going at In 'n Out? Slow day?

how's the job going at In 'n Out? Slow day?

Whaaa, I'm dehumanized!!

If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So you’re very Pro-Gun, you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions.

Probably a waist of time given Boneheads intelect

If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people.

The only time forcibly gun taking comes in to play is when someone with a prior criminal record, history of mental instability, or love of posting such stuff on Facebook(Etc..)starts making public threats of violence. Try taking a walk down the street with a bullhorn and multiple firearms. Then use the bullhorn to threaten violence. Guess what, the cops are going to show up and tell you to drop your weapons.

You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns.

There are gun buyback programs or public programs where folks can turn in weapons. Guess what, they are voluntary (please pick up a dictionary for god sake).

Gun control is primarily brought up as a means of

• Improving background checking prior to purchase of a firearm
  • Limiting clip size
  • Restricting access to some varieties of firearms

The last point is tricky but not impossible since there isn't a 100% solid definition of an assault rifle. I'm pretty sure most folks can hunt and defend themselves without use of tanks or machine guns.

There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions.

Please provide a credible reference for this statement. Where has anybody other than wack jobs with similar afflictions to yours called for centralized gun ownership?

From the wiki.

That's funny, not a single researcher, not one, has proposed that a lift on the assault weapons ban had anything to do with this long term trend. It sure has had a lot to do with the increased lethality of mass shooting incidents, however. Yup...sure has.

"In the long term, violent crime in the United States has been in decline since colonial times.[9] However, during the early 20th century, crime rates in the United States were higher compared to parts of Western Europe. For example, 198 homicides were recorded in the American city of Chicago in 1916, a city of slightly over 2 million at the time. This level of crime was not exceptional when compared to other American cities such as New York, but was much higher relative to European cities, such as London, which then had three times the population but recorded only 45 homicides in the same year.[10]

After World War II, crime rates increased in the United States, peaking from the 1970s to the early 1990s. Violent crime nearly quadrupled between 1960 and its peak in 1991. Property crime more than doubled over the same period. Since the 1990s, however, crime in the United States has declined steeply. Several theories have been proposed to explain this decline:

The number of police officers increased considerably in the 1990s.[11]

The prison population has been expanded since the mid-1970s.[11]

Starting in the mid-1980s, the crack cocaine market grew rapidly before declining again a decade later. Some authors have pointed towards the link between violent crimes and crack use.[11]

One hypothesis suggests a causal link between legalized abortion and the drop in crime during the 1990s.[12]

Changing demographics of an aging population has been cited for the drop in overall crime.[13]

Another hypothesis suggests reduced lead exposure as the cause; Scholar Mark A.R. Kleiman writes: "Given the decrease in lead exposure among children since the 1980s and the estimated effects of lead on crime, reduced lead exposure could easily explain a very large proportion—certainly more than half—of the crime decrease of the 1994-2004 period. A careful statistical study relating local changes in lead exposure to local crime rates estimates the fraction of the crime decline due to lead reduction as greater than 90 percent.[14]"

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Oh, and gun ownership has been in steady decline in the US (we still have nearly twice as many guns per capita as our next competitor - Serbia LOL)- that includes the 90s when the AWB was lifted. So, there goes the more guns = less crime argument. Kinda supports the opposite conclusion, no? Shooting sports have become less popular over time - and the gun makers are freaking out about how to market their declining wares. That's why they're marketing heavily to kids, now.

You know, the kids that do a lion's share of the mass shootings. I mean, who wouldn't trust a teenager with an assault rifle?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Isnt it funny that I dont own a gun yet support the sec amendment. That makes me a true liberal. I support something that I would never do myself. Like prostitution and drugs.

Where a republican will not support something therefore you dont get to do it too......