Insoles for Winter Climbing

Jason L.

I've been doing my research on new winter boots since the current pairs I own aren't cutting it (Scarpa Mont Blanc and Kayland Hypertraction). However, instead of spending money on brand new boots, I'm trying to find ways of improving what I already have.

I already own a pair of smartwool mountaineering socks which I use in addition to a mid-weight pair of socks. I have enough room in my scarpas (and not too much either), while my hypertraction fits a little tight in my left boot.

Has anyone upgraded their insoles for winter climbing? Spenco makes a FLOW Warm but didn't know how well it works. Anything else out there that can be recommended? I searched the forums here but came up with nothing.

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

I support ADKMan. Over several days and a few pitches of ice climbing I would wear one boot with the manufacturer's insole, the other boot with the Red Superfoot insole, then compare against the green Spenco insole--again one boot with, the other boot without. There was a small positive difference. I estimate about a one or two degree difference, i.e. the Red Superfoot provided a small, but noticeable, positive difference. The downside is this is an expensive insole.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, Washington

Bob, 1 or 2 degree difference between the Red Superfeet and manufacturer's insole or was it between the Red Superfeet and green Spenco? Thanks for the input.

Dear All,

I support ADKMan. Over several days and a few pitches of ice climbing I would wear one boot with the manufacturer's insole, the other boot with the Red Superfoot insole, then compare against the green Spenco insole--again one boot with, the other boot without. There was a small positive difference. I estimate about a one or two degree difference, i.e. the Red Superfoot provided a small, but noticeable, positive difference. The downside is this is an expensive insole.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, Washington

Definitely expensive, but if they can keep my feet warm then that would be worth it. Do you wear them by themselves or in combination with another layer?

Little off topic but the Lorpen Trekking Expedition Sock are by far and away the best sock I have ever used. Only thing I wear climbing now

Best gear investment I've ever made (hands down) was a pair of custom insoles from a local boot fitter. $100 - pricey, but transfer between all boots, and make them all feel like slippers. They also increase the boot warmth (shaped out of closed cell foam ). Paired with mid-weight Darn Tough Vermont socks = winner

superfeet corks - designed for downhill ski boots, but work GREAT in rigid mountaineering boots. spendy - yeah, about $200, but my first pair lasted 21 years, several pairs of alpine boots, and I happily replaced them last year. only usable in RIGID boots, though - you can downgrade one model for a custom-formed superfeet insole that may be used in more flexible footwear - about $150, and worth every penny.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding but my browser seemed to lock up each time I tried to get on this site. I am using another machine and another browser to key in these words. Someone asked a few days ago to expand on my limited and somewhat subjective field test. The short answer is that the Red Superfeet were a bit warmer compared to the manufacturer's insole as well as the green Spenco insole I was comparing to. It was not much but the warmth difference seemed real enough. So now the Red Superfeet are what I use in my ice climbing boots.

Cheers,

Bob Loomis, Spokane, WA.