ankle replacement surgery

My doctor told me today that I may need ankle replacement surgery. I broke the darn thing in 1982 in a climbing fall, and it's never been the same, though I climb all the time...vantage last weekend, had a great time on George and Martha, etc.

The chronic pain has been getting worse lately. Lots of grinding and snapping noises down there, and I'm limping.

Anyone have experience with this?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, I just had ankle surgery in February. I cannot recommend more highly Dr. Blahous from the Sports Medicine clinic in seattle. I too had a shit ankle from a fall 12 years ago. He took a lot of time to diagnose the problem effectively and nailed the surgery spot on. He is was also the ankle surgeon of the year in 2010 from the Washington Academy of Orthopedic surgeons or something :)

Every other Dr. I had seen mis-diagnosed me. If you want, PM me and we can chat on the phone.

-Adam

• 4 weeks later...

I may have lucked out. I saw a surgeon and he told me to stop whining and go climbing. There is nothing he can do surgically that would help. Told me to get some better, more supportive shoes. Apparently my Chacos are not ideal. Then he gave me a cortisone shot. So now my limp is pretty much gone, and I'm headed to joshua tree. Escaped the knife again!

I broke both bones just above the ankle last year and my ankle has Frankenstein scars on both sides. One side has a titanium plate and the other a few screws. It is not that flexible but stable and we older climbers need to learn to live with the punishment life deals out from time to time.

Like Gene, I am not sure what "replacement" means with such a complicated part of our body, but I wish you luck on your situation.

Say hello to JT for me. I am doomed to gloom for the time being.

Edited by matt_warfield

Mark, I broke my ankle 20+ years ago and was in the same position as you. I had worn out the cartiladge and was recomended to have fusion or replacement. I am finishing up on what is a third option. Ankle distraction. Don't do a replacement without considering it. I have grown new cartiladge. I heard about it from reading an article about Vern Tejas who had it done. S. Robert Rozbruch at the Hospital for Special Surgeries in NYC is the man for this. It has it's challenges, but is way less scary compared to having your joint cut out. PM me if you want to talk about it. I would like to add that Ed Blahous is a great local ankle guy. He doesn't do the distraction.

Thanks for the input. I have also heard about the distraction. I bought some good work boots. They go above the ankle. 6 inch boot. When laced up it's almost like a brace.

I've been mostly pain free with the new work boots.

My ankle barely hurts at all when I climb, just on long approaches, and that was with my old chacos. We will see how I do at jtree, 2 weeks of full time climbing starting tomorrow. Those approaches are mostly short.

I like this line from the Matt: " we older climbers need to learn to live with the punishment life deals out". Very true!

-------

The road is calling me. A siren song of freedom. No one to see, no where to be. Leave the job behind for a while. See who I am. Woke up at 4 thinking about that long highway to sunshine.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/health/health_watch&id=7838036

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_ankle-distraction-arthroplasty.asp

Here is some more info. It was a challenge going to NYC for it and wearing the fixator is not always fun, but it's an option to try that doesn't burn any bridges. Jeff Christensian at everett foot and ankle is the replacement guy for around here. the boots may be helping, but it's going to catch up to you.

My wife has fused Talus and Calcaneus bones, so basically there is no more subtalar joint. She developed arthritis, after fracturing Calcaneus in 4 pieces. At this point she doesn't have any mobility issues. She is not able to run, but she can do everything else, which includes racing DH bikes in Whistler, climbing and skiing.

My friend from Calgary, Simon, had the same surgery, but he had to have his redone, as his ankle angle was incorrect. He developed a nasty case of Plantar Fasciatis, which took over a year to sorted out. My wife had no complications from the surgery, and it took about 3 months for a recovery.

My understanding of Talus replacement (because this is what they intend on doing- right?) is that is an ultimate surgery and if unsuccessful, the only post surgery option is amputation. I would not risk it. Subtalar fusion works like a charm and you might have some difficulties on some hand cracks, but in general the decrease in mobility will have a very insignificant effect on your activities.

My surgeon told me that fusing was not a good choice because it would hurt my ability to climb, and I think he meant cracks. He is a climber. My understanding of fusing is that the ankle can't roll sideways. Cracks are what I'm good at, I'm still hoping to get a clean send of Karate...I got really close this fall. This is me, one hang at the traverse on top.

meKarate12a.jpg

He also told me that he would only consider ankle replacement surgery if I was a sedentary 85 year old. They are very fragile, and not recommended for climbers.

The ankle cortisone shot he gave me helped a lot, as have the tall work boots.

Now I'm going climbing. The next time I show up on this board should be to post my standard xmas at jtree tr.

Mark, my wife is still able to do cracks. You have to modify the technique. However the risk of amputation in Talus replacement is far too great, and you'd have much harder time climbing without your foot. My friend Simon cranks 5.12 in Bugaboos, without much of the problem. Your physician assessment of the foot function with subtalar fusion is incorrect imo.

Injecting cortisone into the joint will degrade the joint even further. It will lead to thinning of the cartilage in the long run, which will cause more pain in long term. There are known cases (Kurt Marsh just of the top of my head), that not only ended a thriving career, but also led to necrotizing of the tissue and amputation. The reason you are feeling pain in the joint isn't due to lack of cortisone in it.