Cutthroat peak rappels?

Quarryographer

Hey all. I was just wondering if anybody has done Cutthroat lately? Summitpost has a topo that says there's Rap chains on the West ridge. Looks pretty straightforward, but...? Will a 70 meter reach? It looks kinda far from the South Buttress. Will we have to carry up and over all our gear? And lastly. Having not climbed the West ridge would it be easy to get lost? I know it's silly to ask, but I'll be taking the gf, and I'd like to keep the last minute epics to a minimum. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The South (West?) Buttess has some route latitude so it is hard to get lost, although there are some variations that are clearly better than others. FWIW, we rapped the route with a 40 meter rope, what was left after cutting my 60 when it got stuck.

Edited by DPS

There are bolted anchors from the summit.

I think two single rope raps to reach the west ridge, then scramble down the ridge, right on the crest, for a ways until you reach a few more single rope raps (I recall the first one being near a stunted tree or small bush) that lead down to the scree below the west ridge.