What was this past winter like in the Cascades?

KaiLarson

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm headed to the Cascades first week in June.

Was wondering what kind of winter you folks had. Cold? Warm? Snowy? Dry?

How are snow levels? How are conditions likely to compare with normal?

First week in June is probably 50/50 odds for climbing most "normal" years in the Cascades. Last two years we had very deep snow pack and high avy risk several times in June (along with a "special advisory" on www.nwac.us). I'd recommend a backup plan if I were you, as this year will likely be the same.

I'm headed to the Cascades first week in June.

Was wondering what kind of winter you folks had. Cold? Warm? Snowy? Dry?

How are snow levels? How are conditions likely to compare with normal?

If you are a skier, you will probably enjoy what you find the first week of June this year unless we have an unusually warm and dry Spring, which seems unlikely. Otherwise, get ready to posthole...a lot.

Thanks for the replies:

We've got 9 days. Hoping to climb one or more of:

Baker N Ridge

Shuksan N Face

Rainier Ptarmigan Ridge.

Currently have plane tickets for the first week of June, but could possibly make changes if necessary.

What is the wisdom of the collective? Should I push back the dates of my trip? Just bring snow shoes and hope for the best?

Assuming things are still very snowy, what fun routes benefit from a good covering of snow?

Shit, even if we have a dry and warm spring skiing will definitly still be good in June.

Yeah, no doubt. It is **deep** out there now. Hopefully a cold and snowy Spring follows and we will be (non-volcano) skiing through July. :)

Kai,

All of your listed climbs would be doable even with a mammoth snow pack. Shuksan in particular is easy to access from that side since you start at a Ski Area. Other approaches may simply require a bit of walking to get to the summer trailhead. If there has been a good bit of melt-freeze the snowpack may have consolidated enough by then to make travel without flotation possible during cold hours, but no guarantee on that. If you want to give yourself the greatest possibility of good weather, then you are probably best pushing your dates back a bit. If you are willing to roll the dice, you may get lucky and get 9 days of gorgeous sunshine in early June; it's not unheard of.