Killer Deltoids Workout

**NOT FOR BEGINNERS**

I just had a kick ass delt training session and fried them! Love sharing a good workout. I believe keeping them strong and flexible-- good range of motion (yoga, Pilates, etc) helps a great deal with preventing injuries.

I periodize my training something like this: (1) strength, (2) hypertrophy, and (3) endurance/cardiovascular. I'm training for strength this month so reps are low, weight high, but you can adjust.

Warm up (ALWAYS warm up!):

-Cable external rotation 3 sets x 15 reps

-Cable internal rotation 3x15

-Bent over horizontal DB rotation 3X15

Workout:

-BB Standing Push Press 5x5

-DB Lateral Raise (Heavy, some momentum) 4x6

-Standing Alternating DB Press 3x8

-Seated Arnold Press 3x8

-Incline Bench Rear Delt DB Raise 3x8

-Front Plate Raise 3x 6-8

Rest between sets: 60 seconds

Rest between exercise: 90 seconds

Post Workout

-Moderate Stretching 5 minutes

-Supplements: Glutamine+BCAA, whey isolate.

I dunno, personally, I love to read about a new workout, so maybe there's ONE person here who can benefit from this........maybe.

Peace. :cool:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked the dogs 2 1/2 miles.

You better rest up after that, Bud.

(but you can probably climb a hell of a lot better than I)

I can barely climb off the couch right now. 2 1/2 miles is a big deal for me and my short legged dogs.

I can barely climb off the couch right now. 2 1/2 miles is a big deal for me and my short legged dogs.

Geezus, DPS, what the hell happened to you?!

I noticed those short little legs on your dog in the photo--impressive for the little guy. You didn't kick him the whole way, did you?

Geezus, DPS, what the hell happened to you?!

I noticed those short little legs on your dog in the photo--impressive for the little guy. You didn't kick him the whole way, did you?

I don't kick the little guy, but I have to carry him sometimes. He's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm *recovering* from a serious illness. Being out of the hospital and off of IV pain drugs is big step forward. Walking the dogs is like an expedition.

sounds like a good shdr workout wookie. Do you hit this once a week or more? What does the rest of the week look like? a split routine?

Thanks, GP. Do you do much working out? Training definitely keeps me SANE during Alaska winters, and I admit...I AM INSANE in the gym.

I hit delts only 1x/week & they have their own day-- trying to get them bigger for more of that hour glass figure. They will get some work during chest and back days.

I'll change the workout a bit next week. I may do cable lateral raises instead of DB.

Current Split:

-Delts, Abs

-Glutes/Hams/Calves

-Rest (cardio only)

-Chest/biceps

-Quads, Calves/Abs

-Rest (Cardio only)

-Back/Triceps

-Active rest

-(Repeat)

Weight routine: 4 -5 nights a week (~ 45 minutes)

Cardio: 6 mornings a week 45- 60 minutes--sometimes it's 90 minutes but I've been training a LONG time and worked up to this)

My Training Heart Rate = 145 - 160 BPM; my RHR = 45 BPM

(I have a Sportline HR monitor)

I NEVER do cardio and weights the same time. Counter productive.

In the summer, I'll be more outside and cut back on cardio, but I'll lift still.

And, folks will say it's 80% nutrition and 20% training. But I learned that's it's 100% for both, but I'm intense. I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to training. :grin:

I don't kick the little guy, but I have to carry him sometimes. He's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm *recovering* from a serious illness. Being out of the hospital and off of IV pain drugs is big step forward. Walking the dogs is like an expedition.

Well, your signature says that you're mean to dogs.

Hey, good for you for getting out despite the challenges. Right on! But sorry to learn that, Bud. Really am. Here's sending you the best thoughts I possibly can, DPS.

Now now John, different goals for different people.

(listen to me being a hypocrite, 90L packs and ice screw soloing out of crevasses)

Princess Wook, just curious as I am trying to create a base fitness plan for myself that is YMCA gym based that I would do in addition to a day or two in a rock gym getting ready for the spring summer fun.

From what I see at face value, PW is working hypertrophy and John is working power endurance and such.

Now now John, different goals for different people.

(listen to me being a hypocrite, 90L packs and ice screw soloing out of crevasses)

Princess Wook, just curious as I am trying to create a base fitness plan for myself that is YMCA gym based that I would do in addition to a day or two in a rock gym getting ready for the spring summer fun.

From what I see at face value, PW is working hypertrophy and John is working power endurance and such.

John actually does raise a good point. And thanks G for pointing that out. It's all good!

And, to be more accurate, for ME it would be counterproductive to do a cardio sweat fest and then lift very heavy. When I do cardio, I have made myself throw up I go so hard....and I am truly an animal in the gym. I just got done with 60 minutes of the step mill with my HR at an average of 158 BPM and then to do a killer quad workout would not work since I just used up most of my glycogen stores. And, while I have different goals, I am trying to add mass for certain event this fall.

And when I coach people, we do look at their lifestyles, the body types, and get very specific on what they are setting out to accomplish.

I'll PM you later with some thoughts. G.

Thanks!

When I do cardio, I have made myself throw up I go so hard....and I am truly an animal in the gym.

This doesn't really sound like cardio

I just got done with 60 minutes of the step mill with my HR at an average of 158 BPM and then to do a killer quad workout would not work since I just used up most of my glycogen stores.

60 minutes @ 158 on the stairs made you throw up and use all of your glycogen? Maybe you're doing it wrong

I just got done with 60 minutes of the step mill with my HR at an average of 158 BPM and then to do a killer quad workout would not work since I just used up most of my glycogen stores.

60 minutes @ 158 on the stairs made you throw up and use all of your glycogen? Maybe you're doing it wrong

158 BPM is around 75% to 80% of max HR. It would not be surprising to use up all of the blood and liver glycogen stores with 60 minutes of that. If I remember it right, cellular glycogen stores (or equivalent) would be used up in a couple minutes, blood glycogen used up in 12 minutes or so and the liver has about a hours worth. There is another storage place but I forget where that is.

Besides after that, hormones are shot, central nervous system is taxed and everything else is going to shite anyway.

Besides after that, hormones are shot, central nervous system is taxed and everything else is going to shite anyway.

after 1 hour @ 158? you guys must be out of shape.

I'm no sports scientist so my eyes kind of glaze over when you start using big words but all I know is that if you can't use your muscles anymore after an hour of cardio something is wrong with you.

Should cardio make you throw up? I've thrown up after intense workouts of several hours on the bike before but certainly those workouts were not aerobic.

Edited by rob

after 1 hour @ 158? you guys must be out of shape.

I'm no sports scientist so my eyes kind of glaze over when you start using big words but all I know is that if you can't use your muscles anymore after an hour of cardio something is wrong with you.

Should cardio make you throw up? I've thrown up after intense workouts of several hours on the bike before but certainly those workouts were not aerobic.

yes I am out of shape if that is the definition of being in shape. For my age and the usual equation for max HR, 158BPM is 90% of my max and an hour of that will wear me out. Pardon me for being weak.

No one said they couldn't use their muscles after such a round of whatever you want to call it. But it is definitely not a good condition to be in for more training. Especially hypertrophy or power. There is not much consensus in the training world on how to do things but conditioning after heavy work is pretty much universal. Even the crazy folks at crossfit seem to follow this idea.

I wouldn't know about throwing up during cardio as I have never done it (the throwing up part or the hour of 90% MHR), but I think that getting to the point to throw up is beyond simple cardio and into anerobic and possibly due to the extreme amounts of lactic acid buildup in addition to hormones, CNS, and other factors.

I am not even sure if cardio has to be aerobic. Cardio is about strengthening the heart and possibly about flushing out the arteries and veins and such. I think cardio work is also about training the energy creation methods to be more efficient at making energy. Usually measured in how much the heart beats/min. Aerobic and anaerobic is about which energy system is providing the chemicals needed to move muscles. (ATP production?) Does it need oxygen or not? You can have anaerobic training methods that raise the heart rate and be called cardio. Tabata protocols and other intervals would be mainly anearobic and still cardio work.

If I remember right, a classic cardio exercise starts with ATP being used from the cells stored supply. Once that is gone (after a couple minutes?), there is something else kicking in but it is short too. Aerobic kicks in (mitochondrial) and can hold things up for a long time but when the work becomes too tough, anaerobic adds to the production for the deficit. this causes lactic acid to build up and eventually end the activity. Been a long time since I read about these things so I am prolly wrong in some degree.

(eyes glazing over yet?)

Edited by genepires

Or maybe her max HR is 175. Everyone's is different.

That is the formula stamped on all exercise equipment. It's irrelevant. I'm in my 30s and have a max HR of 205. I've bike raced with guys the same age who's max HR is 178, which was my aerobic threshold. It has nothing to do with fitness, more genetics. You can have a high max HR and have a low OBLA value, or vice versa.

Agreed that the formula is not accurate for everyone. Just a place to start. Did you find yours being hooked up to monitors on a treadmill or did you figure it out yourself on a track or something?

genetics plays more into MHR than training? (my new excuse)

what is OBLA?

I think people are getting aerobic and cardiovascular exercise confused, but this thread wasn't meant to start an argument or ruffle anyone's feathers.

If folks have a great fitness regime that works for them, and advances them toward their aspirations in life, then RIGHT ON! That's what it's all about!

Actually, I wasn't clear. No, I did not throw up TODAY but in the past I have when I did some super HIIT sessions with wind sprints way beyond lactic threshold and into the anaerobic energy pathways. Today was just an average cardio workout and not even close to nausea, but I do sweat up a storm no matter what.....eew. My average HR was 158 today according to my monitor, and i was at 183 max. My RHR is about 45.

Like a lot of folks here, I don't settle for mediocrity and give 100% of myself in any challenge. I don't partake in activities to prove to anyone but myself, and I've learned what works best for me. But I'm always willing to discover new tools or a better approach.

I'm really excited about my current protocols, and it's cool to see my shoulders getting more shredded. I'm getting closer to my current fitness goals like never before and am seeking to get my Pro Card for the National Physique Committee (NPC) by 2015. :cool: But it never stops; each day I seek to be a better version of who I was yesterday. I'm still not where I want to be....

My overall goal in life is to be a positive influence on everyone I meet...and I love this quote: "If I made you smile, then I've done my job."

Peace, Peeps!