west coast surf about to go off

freeclimb9

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:

How can they predict a 30 foot swell 5 days in advance? Past geometry?

I think it has to do with wind patterns and weather in the ocean to the West (or SouthWest). Most of those waves are wind-driven, I think. There was some great info. on wave science in "The Perfect Storm" by Sebastian Junger; a good read.

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:

How can they predict a 30 foot swell 5 days in advance? Past geometry?

By using a Wave Analysis Model. This empirically based modeling is old hat --developed in the eighties-- and uses data from swell buoys throughout the world's oceans for input.

TSUNAMI!

me and some buds were surfing lake superior years ago, at one of our city point breaks, 4-6' that day, and watched two kids dissapear, no 27' -55' swells on the lake, though...that's hella huge-

The only surfing I'd be doing in them waves would be lashed to a crash boat!

I know nothing, But I would bet the waves have more to do with the nasty weather system that is moving in than the earth quake... the quake was inland wasn't it???? If there was a nasty quake out at sea, then I can see the waves rolling in big and nasty because of the quake... but then what the fuck do I know???? [Razz]

I would think that waves relating directly to the earthquake event would reach our coast at nearly the same time as the ground-shaking that some people felt. Lake Union houseboats were shaken yesterday a few minutes after the Alaska quake.

My girlfriend was in Anchorage and wasn't impressed by the quake, though the room did sway for almost a minute, she said. It would have been interesting to be climbing in Denali Nat'l Park that afternoon, though [Eek!]

Yeah, waves are basically a product of three things, wind speed, wind duration, and the fetch, which is the distance the wind blows over the water.

Wind waves are waves created by local wind conditions, and generally have short period (up to roughly ten seconds.) Swells are waves that have traveled outside the windy area in which they were created, so all the shoppy crappy wind waves die out, and you are left with clean long period (usually 10-20 seconds, but sometimes longer, such as in the case of tsunamis, which might have a wave period measured in minutes.

An analogy that works for me is this: Have you ever tried to fall asleep in a house where someone is playing music in another room? All you can hear is that base, because the short period wave energy (treble or wind waves) is weak and dies out, but bass (or swell) has a longer wave period, so the sound carries much further from the place where it was created.

If you're surfing, you generally want swells that were created far away and have had time to clean up into long period waves and organize themselves into sets, not stormy victory-at-sea type conditions, though those can work some places.

When it's 30 feet out at the ocean and coming down the strait of juan de fuca at just the right angle, it's possible to surf fun shoulder to head high ocean swells on Whidbey Island.

Also, the longer the wave period, the faster the wave. In the case of an earthquake, the tsunamis that may be created are very long period waves, and they travel very fast. Any tsunami effect from a quake in Alaska would be seen here in a matter or minutes or hours, not days.

I've got a web page that has links to some neat graphics. Click on "Pacific wave heights and directions" for images of current and forecasted wave height and direction.

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:

The way I'm reading the surf forecasts for 11/8 is looks like they're predicting 50-60 foot faces on the waves for a few hours. Is that for real? Or did I just misread the data in a massive way?

Jay, it could be epic, but I don't know about 50-60 wave faces. A lot of that depends on topography relative to swell direction. The surfer reports are saying it'll be the biggest it's been in years.

Kinda suprising, but the water is often warmer off Tofino and the W. coast of Vancouver Island than it is off the Washington or Oregon coasts. Typically happens in late summer and early fall when prevailing N/NW winds causes upwelling off headlands and cools the Japanese current as it goes down the West coast. Often the water temps as far South as Santa Cruz are about the same as up here.

[ 11-06-2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]