cross fit for alpine training?

JBaker

True - that kind of work will give you arms of steel and buns of...of...where the hell did my ass run off to?

All seriousness aside, the absolute best training for alpinism IMO is pretty much the same for adventure racing (a previous life): gain lots of elevation. On foot, bike, and...the best of the best: skis. Swimming is a great low impact supplement (and keeps you from dying during the whitewater legs). Sprints once a week or so. A wee bit of weight training. Every week or so do a long one. Figure out how to choke down food, water, and electrolytes, and how to manage things like foot swelling, during those long ones. Everybody's really different regarding these things. Gels work for some (not me), sandwiches for others. Towards the end of a long day (or week during a long one), what people need to keep them going can vary a lot. There's a lot of science out there to draw from, but YMMV by quite a bit. There is one energy food that works for nearly everyone, regardless of how trashed their GI is from a long day out: mac and cheese in a squeeze baggy.

Most importantly, find a way to keep it fun.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and have lots of sex. It keeps your balls healthy, and balls are important to athletic ventures of all types.
PLUS, it keeps my forearms really strong. :blush:

As long as you are dedicated to being ambidextrous.

The real deal can deliver fatigue to your tongue which doesn't help climbing that much unless the effort is returned.

• 1 month later...

FWIW I have friends in Boulder and Jackson who rave about the Alpine Training Center and Mountain Athlete, respectively. Sounds like these Cross-fit inspired gyms are creating programs to train on the weekdays without being wasted for the weekends. If anyone has Crossfit instructor training, and is interested in opening a similar gym in Seattle, I'm confident you could thrive here.

http://www.thealpinetrainingcenter.com/

http://www.mtnathlete.com/