cross fit for alpine training?

JBaker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure they are out there... Actually, I believe Dane worked out at Gravity Jane's Crossfit for prepping for alpine climbing/ice climbing.

I can tell you this, the one expedition I went on to Ecuador - out of the 12 clients on the trip the crossfit guy was easily the most fit and most capable (could have outrun the guides easily).

It's great for overall fitness, but don't expect your grades or climbing ability to increase at all. you won't bulk up unless you're genetically predisposed to getting "big", but you will lose fat weight and gain some back via muscle. measure your progress by fat %. also one hour session a few times a week isn't enough, you need to change your diet/lifestyle too.

I agree with Layton. If your a fatty and out of shape Xfit may be a good way to lose weight and get "in shape" if you don't get injured. If you're already in half way decent shape the best training for alpine climbing is just to run hills and go to the climbing gym.

Of course you can always invest thousands in some cultish "seminar" like John Frieh and still be only able to climb 5.8 in the mountains.

I also agree with Layton and PeteH's valuable advice. Cross fit's not bad but as you know already, the best thing for getting in alpine shape is getting out. I may be able to do a bunch of pull ups and crank out an hour on the step mill, but I still suck as a mountaineer... hey...but that's about to change, though!

Yeh, like someone else mentioned, nutrition is truly paramount to fat loss and you can't train away a really bad diet.

Cross fit still is fun to do when you cannot get out. You got my vote....get your sweat on!!

cross fit made me more conscious of my nutrition because I wouldn't be able to do the workouts if I wasn't eating an awesome diet. Seriously - i would become lightheaded (prematurely), sleepy, tingles, etc.... this all changed when i started eating better. The gains I made from doing crossfit definitely made me stronger not just in the mountains, but at the sport crag as well. That's just me though.

Having that said, if you have the extra time and money just go alpine climbing.

Don't forget to warm up. The most sore I've ever been in my life was the first time I did Crossfit and didn't warm up beforehand.

More likely you didn't cool down correctly or attempt to do some dedicated recovery after a hard work out. btdt myself ;)

If you think xfit as GPP (general physical preparation) that goes along with SPP (sport specific physical preparation) then you have a good recipe for getting ready for the alpine. So a couple days a week of xfit with a couple days a week of hiking and rock climbing would be a good training program.

I am too cheap and po to pay for xfit, but it seems like xfit would fit your needs of "lose weight, build strength, and build endurance".

Don't forget to warm up. The most sore I've ever been in my life was the first time I did Crossfit and didn't warm up beforehand.

More likely you didn't cool down correctly or attempt to do some dedicated recovery after a hard work out. btdt myself ;)

I'm sure getting older doesen't help either. :yoda:

I agree with Layton. If your a fatty and out of shape Xfit may be a good way to lose weight and get "in shape" if you don't get injured. If you're already in half way decent shape the best training for alpine climbing is just to run hills and go to the climbing gym.

Of course you can always invest thousands in some cultish "seminar" like John Frieh and still be only able to climb 5.8 in the mountains.

Wow PeteH you are my HERO! :rolleyes:

Xfit recommends the Paleo diet, which I don't follow since I do well with sprouted/soaked grains and cultured dairy products. Definitely get rid of all refined sugars and refined grains - I am finally there, except for the rare treat, but it took a few months of gradual, incremental changes. Ditch the commercial breakfast cereal, as it's actually got very little nutritional value, lots of sugar, and is hard to digest -- instead, soak some oats overnight and boil them up for breakfast. Make vegetables a big part of your diet, spend the extra $ to get high quality animal products if you can, and learn how to make your own stock and broth. It's not difficult, but takes more planning, thought, and small changes over time. I train 10-12 hours a week and did a 7 week bike tour this summer, and can feel it clearly when I have even 2 or 3 nutritionally poor meals.

Then again.. it's pretty individual. Alex Honnold is all about cookies. And I like sugar, too, but feel better when I'm not on it.

Xfit recommends the Paleo diet, which I don't follow since I do well with sprouted/soaked grains and cultured dairy products. Definitely get rid of all refined sugars and refined grains - I am finally there, except for the rare treat, but it took a few months of gradual, incremental changes. Ditch the commercial breakfast cereal, as it's actually got very little nutritional value, lots of sugar, and is hard to digest -- instead, soak some oats overnight and boil them up for breakfast. Make vegetables a big part of your diet, spend the extra $ to get high quality animal products if you can, and learn how to make your own stock and broth. It's not difficult, but takes more planning, thought, and small changes over time. I train 10-12 hours a week and did a 7 week bike tour this summer, and can feel it clearly when I have even 2 or 3 nutritionally poor meals.

Then again.. it's pretty individual. Alex Honnold is all about cookies. And I like sugar, too, but feel better when I'm not on it.

Also, Paleo is retarded. So there's that.

There is also the point that the pseudoscientific premise that it is based on (that evolution happens slowly enough that humans have not adapted to a modern diet and so should readopt and consume a diet similar to pre-agrarian hunter-gatherers) is completely wrong and has been invalidated by the last 10-15 years of genetic research.

There is also the point that the pseudoscientific premise that it is based on (that evolution happens slowly enough that humans have not adapted to a modern diet and so should readopt and consume a diet similar to pre-agrarian hunter-gatherers) is completely wrong and has been invalidated by the last 10-15 years of genetic research.

Tomato, tahmato.

Tomato, tahmato.

fleece hat, tuk

aluminum, alumeenium

but the question still remains, who took a dump in your gene pool? ;)

Years ago I joined a crossfit gym and went 3-5 times per week for a couple years. Besides all the cult-like nonsense, I'd say that what I found is:

1. Crossfit will not help you lose weight - the people who came in fat, stayed fat. The people who came in skinny, stayed skinny.

2. Crossfit is more of a daily fitness test than a program to improve fitness. I don't think I ever got significantly stronger and I definitely become much slower over any significant distance.

3. Most of the fitness "improvements" you will see in crossfit are really just skill acquisitions that don't translate to anything outside of crossfit. Learning the kip pull-up, the muscle-up, how to row, olympic lifts - these are all skills. You think "hey, I can do a muscle-up, I must be getting stronger", but really, you've just learned to do a muscle-up.

4. At least when I went to the gym, crossfit led to lots of injuries due to inadequate warm-up and cool-down periods and putting untrained people in competitive situations. If you want to screw up your back for the rest of your life - start crossfit!

5. Paleo diet is bullshit.

6. The one good thing I will say about crossfit is that it does train your anaerobic system. Most people ignore this aspect of fitness once they grow up, so crossfit style workouts can have some value. No more value that running 10 windsprints, but still.

If you want to get in shape, lift weights 2-3X per week, run 2-3X per week, and stretch everyday. Also, trying climbing on the weekends.

It's really not that complicated.