Ole Miss

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it passes, the ACLU will immediately challenge it. If you think about it, such a draconian law is about as good as it gets for defending Roe V. Wade.

With today's SCOTUS, though, there's no way to avoid the fairly substantial risk of losing that case, regardless of how awesome your legal team is.

What happens next depends on how sweeping the SCOTUS decision is. There is no small chance that SCOTUS will choose to avoid the issue and kick in on back to the States (this would not be an inconsistent with 'originalism' after all), which means Ole Miss will remain under Charia, but the rest of the states can go their own way on the issue.

If, however, SCOTUS agrees that personhood begins at conception...we are ALL FUCKED.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the concept of 'personhood at conception' is entirely religiously based (it's certainly not based on any science of cognition or human development), and therefore a clear violation of the Establishment Clause. Fighting Kristian totalitarianism in this country, however, is no easy task.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the concept of 'personhood at conception' is entirely religiously based (it's certainly not based on any science of cognition or human development), and therefore a clear violation of the Establishment Clause. Fighting Kristian totalitarianism in this country, however, is no easy task.

Personhood at concepton? Ha! You've lived more than 50 years and still haven't attained personhood.

Yeah, but it still looks bleak to me. They're just going to pepper more states with these sorts of initiatives until one finally passes. Meanwhile, the republicans have spent years stacking the deck at the supreme court, so as soon as one of these babies passes, things will get really scary. Still, I guess if any state would have passed it, it would have been Mississippi. So maybe things aren't so bleak, after all.

MS's initiative was (relatively) resoundingly defeated in what is probably the most religiously conservative state in the country. I'd say things are looking pretty good right now.

It's OK to celebrate a win, ya know!

The Kristians will keep trying...probably with more watered down proposals, and we'll have to keep kicking them back to the Middle Ages where they belong.

There are many indications that Kooky Soshal Konservatism, in general, has already seen its high water mark and is in rapid decline.

There isn't a strong indication that today's SCOTUS would have ruled in favor of personhood at conception...but ya don't want to go there if you don't have to, of course.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

There isn't a strong indication that today's SCOTUS would have ruled in favor of personhood at conception...but ya don't want to go there if you don't have to, of course.
I just can't see how the SCOTUS could logically rule in that direction either, if it ever came to that. When sperm meets ovum and fertilization takes place, is that life? Well, yeah, technically. The extreme beginning of it, at least. A helluva lotta other stuff still has to happen yet... But is it "personhood"? Hell no, it ain't.

Why can't we all just leave Roe v. Wade alone, ferchrissakes!!?? Fuckin' fundie Kristian wankers... :rolleyes: