Lost Photos of the Scott Expedition

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hilarious ivan..

just talking about that at work the other day. I found a disposable camera in my possession after we moved out here, dropped it off to get developed since I had no idea what was on it, and got some pictures from the college days 7 years prior, mostly friends hanging out, then in the middle there were a handful of lovely flasher shots from someone who got ahold of it during a party.

but thanks for posting that, can't imagine going being a part of expeditions like that back then.

One should begin to worry any time "pony" appears on the equipment list.

My thoughts exactly, but perhaps they were tasty.

This is an early example where fast and light not only won the day but allowed the victors to come home alive. Scott's journal excerpts are powerful, but my hat's off to Amundson.

I recommend "Scott of the Antarctic" (Huxley) for a more complete view of the man and his explorations

I found Huxley's book either too much of a tome to read, or too much of a rehash. But I do understand that many find it a classic modern study of Scott.

The other classic works are Huntford's early revisionist work "The Last Place on Earth", and Ranulph Fiennes revision on revisionism "The Race to the Pole".

I found Huntford's work the clearest and most persuasive. Fiennes work was marred by the number of times he had to remind the reader that he, Fiennes, has also sledged to the pole, and as such his view of Scott's is much more accurate and knowledgeable than the milquetoast academic and journalist Huntford's work. In my opinion, Fiennes should consider fucking himself in the ass with the sharp end a ski pole (basket included).

Susan Solomon's work "The Coldest March" was totally forgettable and very much akin to Joe Wilcox's "White Winds" and James Tabor's "Forever on the Mountain", and did not dissuade me in the least of my previous opinions

One should begin to worry any time "pony" appears on the equipment list.

My thoughts exactly, but perhaps they were tasty.

This is an early example where fast and light not only won the day but allowed the victors to come home alive. Scott's journal excerpts are powerful, but my hat's off to Amundson.

Apparently Amundson's crew found sled dog to be tasty, too.

Amundsen with an "e" gentlemen.

Yah, I thought that Roald's selection of the dogs to become dinner was a tad harsh and calculating, but hey, guys gotta eat.

You can almost hear the conversation between the dogs: "Hey Spot, you seen Fluffy today?"

"No, but come to think of it, when was the last time you saw Bowzer?"