• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

New?

I'm buying a new cordless drill; can't decide between the Porter Cable and the DeWalt 14.4-v

What are you using it for?

Don't laugh, but I got the Ryobi 18v, it's less than half the price of the competition, and it's got awesome torque and battery life. Contractors are starting to use them more and more, which says something.

Screwing shit, drilling holes, etc. Basic home improvement stuff and building training structures in my garage. The DeWalt uses metal gears. doesn't Ryobi use a lot of plastic/nylon internal parts? As a contractor, I understand why they buy 'em - even if they last for the length of the job, they usually disappear not long after.

quote:

Screwing shit, drilling holes, etc. Basic home improvement stuff and building training structures in my garage. The DeWalt uses metal gears. doesn't Ryobi use a lot of plastic/nylon internal parts? As a contractor, I understand why they buy 'em - even if they last for the length of the job, they usually disappear not long after.

Get the DeWalt. DFA has the 18v DeWalt and it kicks ass all over the house. Kicks reasonably good ass in concrete, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Get the DeWalt. DFA has the 18v DeWalt and it kicks ass all over the house. Kicks reasonably good ass in concrete, too.

Probably will since Home Depot is probably not carrying the P-C anymore; the Porter Cable had a "hammer-drill" setting which I thought was nice in case I want to drill into my concrete floor. I was looking at the DeWalt 14.4 Volt

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

New?

I'm buying a new cordless drill; can't decide between the Porter Cable and the DeWalt 14.4-v

I'm speaking from the contractor end of the field. I've got a 12v DeWalt that's been splendid. I really like the balance, and the voltage seems just fine. If you need real oomph, you might as well break out the corded tool, and by the time you get really beefy, like the 18v tool, the damned thing weighs so much it tends to defeat the "light and fast" appeal of cordless. That said, the 12v cordless DeWalt saw doesn't have enough guts except for quick casual cuts. I had to rip a 5' doug fir 1x4 the other day for a quickie countertop support, and after the cordless saw groaned and slowed down, I broke out the trusty handsaw and did it just like the old days. It did not, however, make me nostalgic for the old hammer and handdrill method of bolt placement.