My Best Friend is a Republican!?!

JayB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, I think having a Republican friend is making me a better liberal. We need friends who differ from us. It's easy to watch Republican extremism and think, "Wow, they're crazy." But when someone is sitting face to face with us, when someone we admire and respect is telling us they believe differently, it is at this fine point that we find nuance, and we begin to understand exactly how we got to this point in history. We lose something critical when we surround ourselves with people who agree with us all the time. We lose out on the wisdom of seeing the other side.

It's why I like having your posts handy Jay. Too many idiots, perhaps the majority, in this corner of the site think that if you say something different than what they believe, all they have to do is start name calling and the conversation will end. It does end, but although they consider themselves the "winner", is not resolved, nor is anything learned. Only stupidity and childishness is exhibited. We do agree on plenty of things I'd suspect. BTW, I'm not calling you an extremist either:-)

Thanks again

too many idiots, bill, think that labeling themselves as some political party in America actually means something. There's nothing wrong with Conservatism as a belief system; as practiced in America currently the policies and politicians they advocate are shills who produce a weakened impotent country that works against their ideas and produces something directly contra to their ideals

too many idiots, bill, think that labeling themselves as some political party in America actually means something.

Agreed. With two parties, the necessary coalitions that result combined with the corrupting influences (money, lobbies, paying off friends and supporters) basically waters down each party to the point of not standing for much.

Well, let's say that I may have been on friendly terms with a conservative who had dignity and didn't make outlandish claims about others, but "best friend"? Not very likely. My best friends all have some form of egalitarian perspective. People who spend a lot of time together tend to have the same sensibilities toward the world around them. Like people who stay married for example.

I like all my friends to think exactly like I do, that way I don't have to think too much about opposing viewpoints and other nonsense. :tup:

It's a good thing this country is so homogeneous, because outsiders coming in may have different views and opinions than I do, and well, I think we work a whole lot better as a clique. :tup:

No, what I said is that I never had a right winger as "best friend" and you keep spewing about "friends", whatever the hell that means. I am usually quite intolerant of bigots, racists, and warmongers yet you'll hardly find anybody who interacts as much with the opposing viewpoint as I do. Ergo your caricatures don't really capture my reality at any rate.