Anthony Lakes cat ski TR

corvallisclimb

So I went cat skiing at Anthony Lakes. It is totally rad and worth every penny in my opinion. To begin, I got a call from my doctor while skiing up there Thursday morning, when I listened to the message it sounded urgent. I've been having many recent health issues, some known some unknown. So I was not able to call back so it weighed heavy on me all day. Skiing all day while thinking jeeze I'm probably dying, I thought hell I might as well go cat skiing before hand. Knowing from looking online they said they offered half days for $89 wich sounded fine with me. I went into the shop to inquire and she said she would sign me up for a half day, but if the cat booked up with people wanting full days she would bump me off. At that point I really didnt want to find out I'm dying and then get bumped off the cat, so I splurged and bought the full day. The cat did not fill up, there where 11 of us, one guide and one ski patroller, and Wayne our cat driver. All where incredibly cool. Sam our patroller was totally rad and will hopefully be reading this. Brent our guide was a farmer from Haines, and was full of entertainment, you really just could not have asked for a better guide. His wife Mary ripped it up with us as well. To round out the group, there where a few locals, one guy from Portland, one from Alaska, and two lucky kids and there dad from Bend kicking off their spring break. I was a little worried when the two kids showed up in the morning that they may hold the group back, but they where total rippers. All in all we did nine runs and skiied about 10,500 vertical feet. All in untracked fresh and light powder. The cat it self is super comfy, and theyve got water and juice on tap, and snacks and lunch at hand. You even get coffee and breakfast in the lodge before you take off. The skiing I thought was incredible, nothing insane, but pleanty of oppritunities for some nice cliff drops and pillow lines. I'll let the pictures and smiles you see speak for them selves.

DSCF2414.JPG

DSCF2420.JPG

DSCF2422.JPG

DSCF2423.JPG

DSCF2425.JPG

DSCF2426.JPG

DSCF2427.JPG

DSCF2428.JPG

DSCF2435.JPG

DSCF2436.JPG

DSCF2437.JPG

DSCF2438.JPG

DSCF2441.JPG

DSCF2442.JPG

DSCF2443.JPG

DSCF2448.JPG

DSCF2451.JPG

DSCF2454.JPG

DSCF2457.JPG

DSCF2458.JPG

DSCF2460.JPG

DSCF2462.JPG

DSCF2463.JPG

DSCF2468.JPG

DSCF2472.JPG

DSCF2475.JPG

Finished the day off taking my girlfriend out to dinner at the Snaffle Bit in John Day, as she graciously skiied by her self all day while I had my own fun.Hopefully she will be shredding the GNAR in no time. The Snaffle Bit kicks ass, definatly the best food in Grant county. The 16oz ribeye was probably more like 22ozs and cooked to perfection along with everything else and freaking huge portions. Stop here if yout in John Day! But you might need a reservation! Oh and thankfully as it turns out I'm not dying, at least yet anyways, but still have a lot to deal with in the next coming year.

Hats off to Anthony Lakes for running a top notch ski area. This place seriously kicks ass. Rick Pignone their general manager for this year, as it turns out trained Jim Anglin as a ski patroller back in the day. The world seems to feel smaller every day! These guys do it right up there and a just a down right great group of people. Check it out.

Oh and thanks to NW ALpine for hooking me up with these rad salopettes so I can continue to shred the GNAR in style.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kevino- Everything in that picture has been skiied. Theres a picture of Glenn Plake skiing the one just over my right shoulder on Lee's peak. Supposedly on a day with horrible conditions. Its not very hard, but a great looking line. That day there was a set of tracks down that one and the less prominent one just to the left. I've toured back in that area twice but only by myself so I didnt do anything too crazy. In that picture the peak on the right is Lookout Peak, then Lee's Peak, then Angel Peak in the back ground. Angel basin between Lee's and Angels provides some insanly cool backcounty to mess around in. All easily accessible from the the ski area. Where that picture of me is taken where about drop in for our last run of the day wich would take us back to the ski area.

here is a picture kinda showing the terrain

tonylakesbeta.jpg

red=top and bottom of the lift

blue=skiing

yellow=skinning

pink=roughly where the cat skiing was (obviously we didnt ski up hill like shown)

purple=lees peak chute

HAHAHAHA ... I grew up skiing and climbing around Anthony Lakes. The old guy driving the cat is my high school sweetheart's Dad. I will have to send her a link to this thread.

Bummer ya did not ski Lee's. Did that about 25 years ago on leather boots and skinny double camber 210cm skis. BITD skiing Gunsight was a big deal but not so much now.

I was lucky enough to ski that line down Lookout. I believe it is called gun-sight. My sister was a patroller there for several years, giving me a reason to drive out. I have always had a great time skiing Anthony lakes. Superfun line.

Ben Gunsight is an entirely different peak. There are skiable lines on:

Lakes Lookout - pictured above over CC's left shoulder (right side of the picture).

Lees Peak - pictured above over CC's right shoulder (center left side of the picture).

Angle Peak - partially pictured and on the very left side of the picture.

Gunsight - not shown but further to the left.