Class Warfare, Heartland USA,: Wisconsin

Crux

What - exactly - constitutes a living wage?

What should happen when that wage exceeds the amount of revenue that the people who receive it actually generate for their employers?

If the employer can't price his goods or services at a level that can sustain pay above a given wage level - that is, pass the expenses along to his or her customers - what happens to the employee and the business that he's employed by?

don't pretend we can compete with slave labor in developing nations and it'll be fine, like it was before you imposed your "free trade" scam (I.e. NAFAT, etc..).

Workers here have the benefit of massive capital investments that massively leverage their output (thus an obese guy operating a backhoe can outproduce a team of 100 ditch-diggers equipped with shovels), massive capital markets, transparent modes of contract enforcement, a gajillion dollars worth of public and private infrastructure, etc, etc, etc.

Even if the rest of the world disappeared, jobs that involve unskilled manual labor would be displaced by automation. Manufacturing output in this country has continuously increased while manufacturing employment as a percentage of the population has continuously decreased. Same as what happened with the advent of mechanization in farming. The guy who harvested his grain with a scythe would have disappeared even if the rest of the world didn't exist, and the same is true for most low or unskilled fabrication/assembly/etc.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What - exactly - constitutes a living wage?

What should happen when that wage exceeds the amount of revenue that the people who receive it actually generate for their employers?

If the employer can't price his goods or services at a level that can sustain pay above a given wage level - that is, pass the expenses along to his or her customers - what happens to the employee and the business that he's employed by?

It's a good thing police and fire employees are subsidized.

Should they be paid more than necessary to staff police and fire stations with qualified employees? How does the public benefit from that?

More than NECESSARY? In other words, you're saying you should pay them the absolute LEAST you can, and not a penny more. Enough to BARELY make them schlep into work, but JUST ENOUGH to keep them from quitting.

Really? Is that how you'd treat your employees?

If you can get a qualified person to voluntarily agree to work as a fire-fighter for X, and fill all necessary positions at X, why is it in the public's interest to pay more than X - particularly when there are many other beneficial purposes that the funds could be dedicated towards.

The fact that there are literally hundreds or thousands of applicants for every fire-fighting job suggests that we'd have no problem staffing our fire stations with qualified people who are every bit as capable of performing all of the necessary job functions at a significantly lower cost to the public.

If I was an employer I'd pay what was necessary to staff all vacancies with qualified people. If I noticed that good people were leaving or growing dissatisfied, I wasn't able to attract people with the right qualifications, I'd pay what I thought was necessary to agree to continue working for me. If they could make more money elsewhere than I could offer I'd thank them for their time and wish them well.

Again - how would paying wages that were sufficient to keep police and fire stations staffed with qualified people, but not more than that - hurt the public?

bullshit. Jobs are outsourced not because of automation but because of dirt cheap labor and no environmental regulation in developing nations. You have already played that trick on us several times.

If there were nowhere to outsource them to the incentives to reduce costs via automation would be even higher and the rate of technological displacement would be even higher than it is currently.

bullshit. Jobs are outsourced not because of automation but because of dirt cheap labor and no environmental regulation in developing nations. You have already played that trick on us several times.

If there were nowhere to outsource them to the incentives to reduce costs via automation would be even higher and the rate of technological displacement would be even higher than it is currently.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where human beings fit in at all!

The fact that there are literally hundreds or thousands of applicants for every fire-fighting job suggests that we'd have no problem staffing our fire stations with qualified people who are every bit as capable of performing all of the necessary job functions at a significantly lower cost to the public.

Logical fallacy. Just because there are a lot of applicants doesn't meant there are a lot of good applicants, or that there is "no problem" finding good applicants.

Logical fallacy. Just because there are a lot of applicants doesn't meant there are a lot of good applicants, or that there is "no problem" finding good applicants.

hey, if he's right the solution to the Health Care crisis is to open med school to everyone.

Manufacturing output in this country has continuously increased while manufacturing employment as a percentage of the population has continuously decreased.

Now the question is, how are we going to inflate the next bubble that will keep this absurd farce going?

Manufacturing output in this country has continuously increased while manufacturing employment as a percentage of the population has continuously decreased.

Now the question is, how are we going to inflate the next bubble that will keep this absurd farce going?

hey Apple is a manufacturer. Hows that for farce?

hey Apple is a manufacturer. Hows that for farce?

It would be interesting to see how much of the nation's credit card debt is currently owned by Apple.

Back from lunch, hard at work already?

Union lunch?

that's actually a fun one to compare, regarding teaching unions

my first job was in north carolina, essentially no union there - my lunch was 20 minutes long and i was on duty during it, sitting 10 feet away from a thousand 13 year olds, tasked with ensuring none of them stood up, talked loudly, threw fritos at each other or generally had fun. here in washington, my union's much stronger than back east (and spent decades fighting for off-duty lunches), and i get 30 minutes to be myself and not an employee (though, since i don't lock my door, a large gang usually shows up in my room anyway and i mix giving them good-natured crap along with spraying and reading actual news).

it's no suprise i don't work in north carolina anymore

Back from lunch, hard at work already?

Union lunch?

that's actually a fun one to compare, regarding teaching unions

my first job was in north carolina, essentially no union there - my lunch was 20 minutes long and i was on duty during it, sitting 10 feet away from a thousand 13 year olds, tasked with ensuring none of them stood up, talked loudly, threw fritos at each other or generally had fun. here in washington, my union's much stronger than back east, and i get 30 minutes to be myself and not an employee (though, since i don't lock my door, a large gang usually shows up in my room anyway and i mix giving them good-natured crap along with spraying and reading actual news).

it's no suprise i don't work in north carolina anymore

Perhaps more to do with local labor law than the union - a number of states mandate a lunchbreak (non-waivable) for all workers on an 8 hr day. I beleive CA falls into this.