Sam Harris vs Tvash/Prole

JayB

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That you, somehow, have gained enlighment, and the rest of us have cultural blinders on, is going down a familar path I'd rather not purse.

POTD :tup:

hey, i'm not always a big fan of the ACLU's International Director of Operations, but if the shoe fits....

I'd further posit that we ALL have cultural blinders on.

Hmmmm, the first thing I found was an extensive pew poll about how content Muslims are in America:

happy koran-reading muslims.

mebbe it was a different poll you are talking about?

i'm curious how this "violent" religion you speak of becomes so non-violent here in the US.

could it be because it isn't simply about the religion?

Yes, pretty much completely non-violent, as compared with evangelicals and the policies they support...at least in this country.

Hmmmm, the first thing I found was an extensive pew poll about how content Muslims are in America:

i'm curious how this "violent" religion you speak of becomes so non-violent here in the US.

Non-violent compared to what? Quakerism? Seventh Day Adventism? Deism? Are you using a US population weighted index of terror plot participation? Are we comparing vs Arab-American christians, Jews, secularists, etc here?

http://pewglobal.org/files/pdf/248.pdf

Non-violent compared to what? Quakerism? Seventh Day Adventism? Deism? Are you using a US population weighted index of terror plot participation? Are we comparing vs Arab-American christians, Jews, secularists, etc here?

http://pewglobal.org/files/pdf/248.pdf

non-violent compared to suicide bombers (you know, the definition of Islam, per you) and those who support them, silly!

now answer the question.

TTK's got a valid point. If you're a fundamentalist Christian in the US and you want to go fight god's holy war, the US Military is a perfect outlet for that desire, and is more than happy to support that interpretation. Maybe we should all be thankful for that, because focusing instead on heretics close to home is part of that whole Sunni-Shia thing, and that is just grim.

God told Bush to attack Iraq. Really. It was The Christian God of Mercy.

Only problem is, when you are the Christian prez of the US, your militant missions take out a few more innocents than any "suicide" bomber could ever manage to (twin towers included).

Religion of Violence indeed.

Lots of it - but if simple repression was the answer we'd have seen a proportional number of Arab secularists, etc detonating themselves in Western discos. We haven't.

Here come the usual canard about islamic terror in pizza and ice cream parlors. There has been plenty of Arab secularists who resorted to terror, as well as judeo-christian at different times of history, including today.

It isn't clear what you and Harris reproach to muslims: is it that they commit suicide or that they commit acts of terror? Western and other cultures are as guilty of terror despite your and Harris' unexplainable blindness. Harris claims that mass murders of innocent civilians by judeo-christians are a thing of the past but it is a lie as Iraq in general and Fallujah in particular attest to. Your and Harris' arguments are thinly veiled islamophobia, and the few non-brown people who are Muslims don't make your arguments any less racist.

and for the record, although I did agree with R. Scheer's remarks in this discussion (kind of listened to it while multitasking), I quite often disagree with him. I find Chris Hedges however quite impressive intellectually a lot of the time, surprisingly even when he talks about his religious faith, although I have been an atheist for nearly 40 years.

and what percentage of the muslim world lives under autocratic control, propped by western interests, either now or very recent history?

Lots of it - but if simple repression was the answer we'd have seen a proportional number of Arab secularists, etc detonating themselves in Western discos. We haven't.

We'd also be remarking upon the complete absence of suicide bombers originating from Muslim communities in liberal western democracies, but we aren't.

We'd probably also see the propensity for engaging in acts of suicide bombing against civilians decreasing with wealth and education, but if anything, we're seeing vastly more doctors, engineers, and relatively privileged individuals than we are bedouin goatherds engaged in terrorism.

Finally - we'd also see an equal propensity for such violence across all belief groups who have been subject to sustained political repression, and we aren't.

If this was any other ideology - people wouldn't have such a difficult time connecting the dots.

Unbelievable. Your implication: Egyptians don't feel repressed because they're not blowing themselves up? It's called patronizing.

Perhaps Egyptians might be as complex as we are. Perhaps their desires for self determination aren't so very different from ours.

Thank's Prole, that Harpers article in your first link is what I had in mind when I made my statement. K-guy, it's worth taking the time to read. I stand by my statement.

Yeah, "proof positive" that (the majority) of our military volunteers do so to partake in a holy war and kill muslims. Any flimsy "evidence"/excuse to prop up liberal moral relativism and self-hate. :rolleyes: