Dream town?

willstrickland

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to these places and a couple are a little over 5000 people, but based on good words from people I know you might want to look into:

Farmington, NM

Las Cruces, NM

Covolo, CA

Good luck - let us know where you end up. Sounds like this might a little more real-life than the recent Outside magazine article on the perfect outdoor town.

Dream town? Hands down, no question:

Spanaway, Washington.

Nestled between Tacoma ("the city of destiny") and Graham, Spanaway is home to the world famous Spire Rock, training ground of many a world-class alpinist. The highway to Mt. Rainer passes right through it. Its many celebrity citizens have included the likes of Mr. Jimmy Yoder. The 30,000 year old channeled Atlantean warrior Ramtha can be found several miles away in Yelm. With any number of convenient strip malls available for your shopping convenience, Spanawy is THE place to be.

Champagne wishes and caviar dreams from Dwayner.

What about those traffic lights dwayner?

Hey the little town of Roslyn needs people to move there, it's very convenient for all the Enchantments and has a bar you can piss in a trough while you're standing at the bar- what more does a climber need?

as my edit to correct this post, I guess I was sdo drunk I coundn't remember where I was!!! Thanks hikerwa!

[This message has been edited by Beck (edited 08-16-2001).]

roslyn also has the advantage of a new mega resort going in. the developers were able to strong arm the locals and buy precious water rights in the upper kittitas valley. will you could really sell your services in that town. more benz's 4x4 babies coming soon to a golf course near you. or 6. and pre-planned horseback trails. ahhhh.....heaven

ELLENSBURG-

tieton- 45 min

white pass- 1hr

vantage- 35 min

leavenworth- 1hr

ice climbs (excuse me, ice bouldering)- 20 min

snoqualmie pass (alpental)- 1hr

mt stuart- 45 min

hiking- 10 min

hot college girls- nextdoor

rivers- everywhere

mt biking, teanaway- 20 min

the tav- staggering distance

seriously, the cost of living is dirt cheap (including property) just no jobs to be found.

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited 08-16-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

2. Bishop, CA or near there(Big Pine, Lee Vining, etc)

That's my own choice too. Haven't found much about the job market there yet, any more info?

can you clarify what you mean by "access to a decent-sized city or town"? my initial reaction is that Bishop, CA and Moab, UT, while very attractive (I lived in Bishop for a while in the eighties), don't meet that criterion. I'd give E-burg serious consideration. Wilson/Jacksonhole is my childhood country, and it hardly meets your criterion of reasonable real-estate prices. Consider Wenatchee, WA, though - the bottom is dropping out of the real-estate market there right now, so there's no better time to move in... the housing market is glutted- I'm even considering picking up another rental or two if the prices get much lower. Both E-burg and Wenatchee appear to meet all your criteria except for the <5000. But Dryden and Peshastin are both under 1000... or if you're really cheap, Waterville...

If you get down to seriously investigating Bishop, look up John Fisher (used to own PSOM), Alan Pietresante (Buttermilk Mountainworks), and/or Gordon Wiltsie (no introduction necessary) - these guys are generous and helpful to a fault

OK, thought I'd solicit some opinions from youse...god knows there's no shortage of those around here, anyway here's the deal:

I'm looking to purchase property in the near future (12-18 months). I am trying to pinpoint the place I want to live. Employment in the area is not a big deal (I hate working anyway). What is a big deal is that the town be:

1. Small, preferably 5000 or less people

2. Prime location for varied climbing, skiing, biking, paddling, etc.

3. Low humiditiy, inspiring terrain, natural beauty

4. Access to a decent sized city or town for groceries, etc.

5. Reasonable real estate prices.

I am considering these areas:

1. Southeastern Utah, near or in Moab or Monticello.

2. Bishop, CA or near there(Big Pine, Lee Vining, etc)

3. South Central Utah, near Capitol Reef

4. Wilson, WY

5. Anywhere else that meets the criteria

Whadya think?

Bishop kicks ass, even if it is in CA. If you watch the weather at on the local channel at night you'll get the weather from Ted's porch in the SW part of town. No joke. If I could, I'd move there in a heartbeat. Close to Mammoth and June Lakes for climbing, skiing, fishing and other outdoor fun all year round.

Greg