What Kind of Handgun Should I Get?

prole

True about that TVK, but what I do is offer the NOLS students whiskey, beer and/or pills and ask them how much money they have (you should see some of their faces) while the instructors stare at the gun, priceless!

As for the boy scouts, the lads equate firearms with authority, so when I tell them not to listen to anything the leaders say because they are idiots, the lads smile ear to ear and ditto what I said about the NOLS instructors. Also priceless.

And yes, it does help you yell at charging bears far more menacingly and they see in your eyes you mean it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.380 is fairly underpowered, although the Walther PPK is a very nice weapon.

Personally, I'd reconsider the .380 in favor of:

* 40 SW (if you like beretta, the 96 is a nice handgun)

* 10 mm (Glock 29 is a good "subcompact" in this caliber)

* 357 SIG (the Glock 33 is a great concealed carry weapon, smallish, fun to shoot, and can go 9+1, or 10+1 (or more?) if you get a magazine extension.)

All poor choices, Rob. But I'm impressed nonetheless. :tup:

Everybody has their favorites, but I'm not sure how anybody could call a gun like the G29 in 10mm a "poor choice" for self-defense. The 10 is an excellent cartridge (just ask Ted Nugent!) and the G29 offers an accurate, concealable, controllable and powerful package.

I hate Glocks. And I still consider 10mm an over-powered wildcat cartridge. If concealment isn't a concern, my favorite gun is still the Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. Simple, comfortable, and accurate. If I could have only one gun, that would be it. (Or maybe my Ruger 10/22 rifle.)

.380 is fairly underpowered, although the Walther PPK is a very nice weapon.

Personally, I'd reconsider the .380 in favor of:

* 40 SW (if you like beretta, the 96 is a nice handgun)

* 10 mm (Glock 29 is a good "subcompact" in this caliber)

* 357 SIG (the Glock 33 is a great concealed carry weapon, smallish, fun to shoot, and can go 9+1, or 10+1 (or more?) if you get a magazine extension.)

All poor choices, Rob. But I'm impressed nonetheless. :tup:

Everybody has their favorites, but I'm not sure how anybody could call a gun like the G29 in 10mm a "poor choice" for self-defense. The 10 is an excellent cartridge (just ask Ted Nugent!) and the G29 offers an accurate, concealable, controllable and powerful package.

I hate Glocks. And I still consider 10mm an over-powered wildcat cartridge. If concealment isn't a concern, my favorite gun is still the Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. Simple, comfortable, and accurate. If I could have only one gun, that would be it. (Or maybe my Ruger 10/22.)

I shot 5 guns at Wades 2 birthdays ago. I liked the Glock the best and the 5 shot .38 you recommended the least. We're just genetic opposites...you're like, the darker, dumber Captain Kirk.

I'll second what Rob said about shooting guns, fun! Just about anyone can have a good time shooting. However shooting for self defense has zero to do with shooting for fun. Most people shoot for fun but think they can use that same "toy" for shooting a person. Nope. Most folks (myself included) should not even think of a handgun as a self defense tool. It is has been said before here but is really important to think about; professionals with years of training still have problems with handguns and often shoot the wrong person or are shot themselves. If a trained professional can't get it right, you and I have no hope. I wouldn't try to free solo a 5.14 pitch? Why, because I'm not qualified to do so and would get myself killed.

That said, I find the 1911 to be a "fun" handgun to shoot at the range. If the world is really coming to an end and you feel like you've got to have a weapon to defend your ranch, a shotgun seems like a better tool.

phaser

Are you sure?

Yeah, originally from PHoton mASER -- lasers were pretty new and unimpressive when star trek began, but masers were already very powerful. But, they've since changed it to PHASed Energy Rectification

:nurd:

I'm getting the Firearms Training banner ad LOL.

Statistically, most gun deaths are domestic violence and suicide. But you know statistics...in a land where 9 out of ten believe there's a Great Big Fuzzy Kitty Way Up In The Sky Who Loves You, YMMV.

Who ever said that killing your fellow human being required logic? Then again, killing someone who is going to kill you is probably the very epitome of logic, yes? Belief in God? No, I think if God announced his departure tomorrow our depravity would go on unabated.

Second the shotgun if you really are after home defense. You don't have to shoot well to have a good chance at hitting your target.

I don't really get why people want to walk around with a gun in public, and bullsh*t if it's for safety. I'm not sure where you are going to live in Everett, but I doubt having a gun hidden in your pocket is going to make you safer. It may make you feel safer and tougher, but if someone gets the drop on you, you're toast.

Like others have said, guns for the masses, are tools. They are fun to shoot, and sometimes expensive. I don't know about now, but the price of ammo was way up, and hard to get a while back. Do a short bit of research on caliber cost as well. You'll be pissed when you get your fancy new gun, and can't afford to shoot it. And you will need to shoot it a lot, if you think you're going to have a chance at successfully using it in a f*cked up situation.

Ever think about throwing stars or small blow darts???

Edited by Crillz

Sorry Kev, but I can't see what you're saying any longer. 9/11 conspiracy kooks like you are on ignore.

Don’t apologize if you are not truly sorry. Ignore? I did not take you for being the kind of guy who can’t take the heat. Then again, ignorance is bliss. Hence voting republican.