[TR] Horseshoe and Booker - Go to Buckner, hang a left, descend, hang a right 7/28/2010

tvashtarkatena

Trip: Horseshoe and Booker - Go to Buckner, hang a left, descend, hang a right

Date: 7/28/2010

Trip Report:

Josh and I went for #99 on my garbage pile list: Horseshoe, with Booker thrown in as a bonus. Horseshoe provides some exposed chosstacular fun near the summit. Booker probably holds some kind of record for false summits...be prepared for a good, long session of are-we-there-yet?

The heat that weekend! Kinda wish we could have a dose of it now, though.

5009278210_611a09cabe.jpg

Summit Hygiene by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5008669881_b6aa3062a3.jpg

Sahale Arm by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009276612_0bdef38680.jpg

Pet Goat (Sahale Arm) by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009276810_ed50e4d33d.jpg

Cirrus over Sahale by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009277094_d07cdd64c2.jpg

Alpine Training by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5008670245_b69b87af3a.jpg

Horseshoe Lake by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009275894_a8d5bbcd9e.jpg

Snaffle by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009277516_82b5ee711c.jpg

Horseshoe Summit Sketch Move by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5008671491_fcd7f7e8cc.jpg

Descending Horseshoe by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5008671791_bd33c025f0.jpg

Ascending Booker by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009278914_dbbff4f755.jpg

Buckner from Booker by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5008673383_28f22a8744.jpg

Josh on the buttress above Buckner Basin by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009279906_2dce6e8492.jpg

Climbing out of Buckner Basin by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

5009280268_cbbf0f89f3.jpg

Sahale Arm View by PatGallagherArt, on Flickr

Gear Notes:

poons n poles

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got #30 this last weekend on Flora...still a long ways off! The cool thing is by the time i get to #50, ill have all the tough ones out of the way! LOL Thats the benefit of helping my dad finish up his list ;) Should be smoother sailing after that but who knows. Ive been wrong in my assumptions before and had my ass handed to me on peaks i thought would be easy.

Looks like you've found a good climbing partner in Josh! Anyone willing to put up with "The List" is a-ok in my book :) Ill say one thing about the T100 list, it has taken me to places i probably wouldnt normally travel to.

Just got #30 this last weekend on Flora...still a long ways off! The cool thing is by the time i get to #50, ill have all the tough ones out of the way! LOL Thats the benefit of helping my dad finish up his list ;) Should be smoother sailing after that but who knows. Ive been wrong in my assumptions before and had my ass handed to me on peaks i thought would be easy.

Looks like you've found a good climbing partner in Josh! Anyone willing to put up with "The List" is a-ok in my book :) Ill say one thing about the T100 list, it has taken me to places i probably wouldnt normally travel to.

Cool that you're doing it with your dad. Man, that's rare.

Yeah, that's why I've loved doing the list, too. I've been to some really amazing places off the general radar....

....with some really, really shitty rock!

when you gonna take up the county highpt list boys? did the mighty, mighty sturgeon rock of clark county in the pouring rain friday - maybe the only time in my life i've done 4 hours of solid hiking with an umbrella in my hand :)

I'll wait until after I suffer a massive head wound....

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Cool that you're doing it with your dad. Man, that's rare.

Yeah, that's why I've loved doing the list, too. I've been to some really amazing places off the general radar....

....with some really, really shitty rock!

I hear ya on the shitty rock. Have already had a couple serious bouts of it climbing Jack and Boston! Horseshoe was a blessing after having just climbed those two earlier that summer LOL

Its been a great time sharing this with my dad, though. It makes all the hard work, long approaches and, at times, shitty climbing well worth it. Part of doing this list is for my love of climbing and part of it is because my dad is doing it (and i wanna be like him when i grow up! ;) ) Too many of my friends dont have anything in common with their parents...i really cherish my time with my dad in the mtns. Sounds cheesy, i know, but its the truth :)

What route is that up Booker? The ridge from Sahale? I've always looked at the steep N? face - the one you see from Buckner - and wondered if there was a route up it.

Well, there's that route in Beckey... I tried it long ago (back when the shuttle van would drop you at the trailhead), got partway up and ran into a pitch that was like a vertical wall of pie plates stacked on edge, and we decided we'd had enough.