XGK Stove Block Q

Coldfinger

Howdy everybody,

Just picked up a mint XGK II, MSR was so kind as to upgrade it to shakerjet and the unipiece pot supports, but was wondering what people use (other than the trilium stove base) as a stove block to keep it from melting a hole in the tent floor.

Wood? What works best for you?

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a piece of 3/8" OSB (Oriented Strand Board) with 1/2" holes drilled to reduce weight as a stove base, although I have never used it inside the tent (inside vestibule yes) so I can't vouch that it won't melt your tent floor. It will keep it from melting into the snow though.

Yeah it's a little early for this but sure I AGREE, though I prefer KMart or Target to Walmart since I am neither an RV owner nor a mental patient or wandering senior needing exercise.

Just wondering whether you got that cat in there to keep you warm if there are no twigs and if that's how it got so bugeyed. Do you have any pan seasoning tips in the Bacon forum, do bears like bacon? Pretty sure they don't care for cats tho.

Can I please have my stove tip now?

a cheap way to keep the floor safe is to use the round metal reflector that came with the stove ontop of some sleeping foam pad. Wouldn't do it on top of a pricey thermarest.

cooking in a tent is a desperate situation though. Too much CO and you will be back in walmart, acting like the RV owners, mental patients and elderly needing assistance.

wouldn't it be cool if tents came with a little flap (2ft by 2ft) that one could pull back and cook on the ground?

To be fair I should have mentioned the XGK is an older version, round base not legs like the new Megatron version, so contact with the ground or my tent is an issue, rescued it from a gear shop for $70, even got a special silver 25th anniversary fuel bottle.

Yeah I've tried that foil and also a Trilium stove base on top of a piece of sleeping pad foam and the foam melted to both with an XGK, even remember using a tent with that very hole in the floor and zipper, haven't seen that in about twenty years, seemed like overkill like those old snow tunnel entrances you'd see circa 1985.

I cook in tents all the time, it's a piece of cake, I just use adequate ventilation. I've even done it with an XGK, just figured with all the clever people out there somebody has a nice trick. I quite often use a book with a cartridge stove and that very piece of round ground MSR foil and the aforementioned foam or book with the white gas.

John seems to be the winner, and in third place.....

Edited by Coldfinger

Naw man I'm in shape and out in the open (but never in the closet)! I tend to go solo in winter so little savings in mass and weight are important as it truly is my ass in that sling. Used an MSR Denali snowshoe for years as a stove base (it was great) but don't have that anymore (need more floatation here). Thanks and keep in touch if you'll be around anytime soon.