Best Crag to learn trad

Eric K

What do you think the best area to learn and practice trad climbing in washington is. I am just starting and looking for a good learning environment. I climb sport in the high 5.11 range so I am mostly looking for climbs under 5.10. I live in western WA but don't mind traveling every once in a while.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exit 38 is really where it is at. There are all of these shiny chicken-head features on the rock with these holes in them. I find I am able to take a quick draw and just clip it through. Its a lot easier than trying to figure out those camming device things. I can never find a place to stick them. And I never get my quick draws stuck!

Exit 38 is really where it is at. There are all of these shiny chicken-head features on the rock with these holes in them. I find I am able to take a quick draw and just clip it through. Its a lot easier than trying to figure out those camming device things. I can never find a place to stick them. And I never get my quick draws stuck!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/journal/climb/video/winger-for-the-weekend-36

Mileage and variation!

Easy Seattle Access - E32, Repo 1 / Repo 2

5.7 to 5.10 - Tieton / Leavenworth

5.9 to 5.10 - Index / Tieton

I love Index, but unless you're leading pretty solid 5.9 elsewhere there isn't all that much to do there. Once you're solid at 5.9 in Leavenworth or Tieton, then Index really opens up IMHO.