N. Korea sinks ship; nobody does anything. WTF?

rob

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think they're in the same position they were in 50+ years ago?

what's changed? korea's geography lends itslef to ww1 type situatons - very rugged, very narrow - the 1950 war had to quit when it became obvious no offensive could sucede w/o nukes to blast a big hole in the defenses - that calculus hasn't changed. throwing away hundreds of thousands of lives to avenge thte dozen or so of this latest debacle doesn't make sense.

the dagger at the heart of japan thang, fw, makes you soudn like colonel sanders :lmao:

the dagger at the heart of japan thang, fw, makes you soudn like colonel sanders :lmao:

It's from a Tokugawa/Meiji Japan History course I'm taking right now. Their words, not mine.

i recognized the phrase, though i didn't know it was older than the 50's and the start of the war - it's use then was rich w/ the melodrama of falling dominoes, so it just seems very dated now - i don't think anyone's much concerned about korea goign after japan today (not that the good people of manchuko or wtf the nipponese called it in the 30's wouldn't like to return some favors :) )

I think it goes back even farther--to Toyotomi Hideyoshi. A special brand of Japanese paranoia. Japan was never worried about the Koreans themselves, but they did seem to honestly believe the Chinese and/or Russians would use the peninsula to threaten their islands. In the case of the Russians, who poured troops into Korea and the Liaodung Peninsula in 1902-4, they may have had a point. I'm just speculating as to whether modern China is still somehow trying to exploit this old paranoia. Crazy shit.

Gave the order? Hell, bush was piloting the mini sub himself!

Reverend Moon (Owner of the Washington Times, championed as THE paper to read in Washington by Reagan and other GOPers) has been involved in submarines sales to NK according to Japanese and US intelligence. Moon is a well known Bush family friend. So, you may be onto something?

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?articleId=9868

I still think that we could pretty much demolish them. It would be trickier if China defended them, for sure, then it's not worth it. But would they? China kinda wants to be a world power. Would they stick their neck out for N. Korea anymore? N. Korea kinda keeps making them look bad.

Militarily, do you really doubt we could fuck that country back to the stone age pretty easily? It's not the 50's. I'm not talking about occupation or regime change and counter-insurgency or anything like that. I'm just talking about demolishing their government, blowing their shit up, and plunging them into total chaos and anarchy. Isn't that kind of our "thing?"

I still think that we could pretty much demolish them. It would be trickier if China defended them, for sure, then it's not worth it. But would they? China kinda wants to be a world power. Would they stick their neck out for N. Korea anymore? N. Korea kinda keeps making them look bad.

Militarily, do you really doubt we could fuck that country back to the stone age pretty easily? It's not the 50's. I'm not talking about occupation or regime change and counter-insurgency or anything like that. I'm just talking about demolishing their government, blowing their shit up, and plunging them into total chaos and anarchy. Isn't that kind of our "thing?"

read "this kind of war," the classic history of the korean war - makes it pretty damn clear the only way you can conquer north korea w/o killing an insane # of americans is to nuke the place - alot - don't think the s koreans or the chinese would be terribly pleased about that ;)

at any rate, it's a s korean ship they sank, so let the kimchee eaters settle this one themselves, eh?