Peronin? Anyone Tried It?

ColinB

So I found this stuff called Peronin. Pretty much pre-digested edible food-like substance so you don't have to divert extra blood to your stomach to bother with things like digestion. Anyone on here used it alpine climbing? Seems disgusting but potentially useful.

Here's a link. Peronin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever tried Heronin? Its like the above product but you inject the liquid substance with an 8 guage needle directly into your jugular for maximum absorption and speed of delivery. You will never poop or pee. Side effects are minimal. Permanent erectile dysfunction, hallucinations, euphoria, the "warm fuzzy", and too much use of this product has been shown to severely depress your CNS. Which may cause death. It should also be known that this product is very habit forming. But you will never have to bother with the bothersome chore of eating food and drinking water, and as a result pooping and peeing as well. Who has time for these hassles nowadays? Grab your Iphone, stream your favorite track on Pandora, while driving your car to the crag and talking to your mom at the same time and buy Heronin. "Because, life won't wait for you to catch up."

For those interested in this here fine product of faith, I can be found walking the grid in downtown seattle 12 hours a day. I have a cellphone and you will almost never see me standing still for long. I own the patent but it has not been approved by the FDA. So what? What do they know anyway. Trying to keep the good stuff away from the public. Or, you can visit my website @ www.heroninjunky.org Or for real time inspiration you can see how it worked for Matt Dillon in "Drugstore Cowboy". A fine film and a regular customer of mine. Spend $$$, waste your time and life on my product. Cheers

Gu.......by a differnt name.

Bike/Tri/endurance racers have all sorts of variations these days.

I was thinking the same Dane, but this is a protein/carbs/fat mix as opposed to just amino acids and maltodextrin thats in Gu.

Pretty much pre-digested edible food-like substance

Pretty much something is food, or it isn't

Not true at all. Haven't you seen the KFC Double Down? Distinctly not food.

"I was thinking the same..., but this is a protein/carbs/fat mix as opposed to just amino acids and maltodextrin thats in Gu."

When I wrote "they" have all sorts of variations, the protien /carbs/fats were the additional combos over the more well know Gu. So many of them (combos and brands) available now that at any given big race you'd be surprized by the many different vendors.

What is useful all depends on what your gut can handle and in what combo if it will work for you.

Pretty much anyone who does an endurance sport seriously under a clock uses one form or another.

"I was thinking the same..., but this is a protein/carbs/fat mix as opposed to just amino acids and maltodextrin thats in Gu."

When I wrote "they" have all sorts of variations, the protien /carbs/fats were the additional combos over the more well know Gu. So many of them (combos and brands) available now that at any given big race you'd be surprized by the many different vendors.

What is useful all depends on what your gut can handle and in what combo if it will work for you.

Pretty much anyone who does an endurance sport seriously under a clock uses one form or another.

I asked Ian Adamson, at the time the world's most winning adventure racing team captain, what food he thought was best for racing, and he replied "regular old sandwiches".

That was our team's experience, as well. Gu et al is commonly used in these sports, of course, but for a lot of folks, Gu and similar products jacks the blood sugar around too much for long duration endurance events. They're OK for end-of-the-leg, short term boosts, but a lot of racers find them a poor choice for sustained efforts. No surprise: they're basically just simple sugar.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

No arguement from me. Gu specifically is a poor choice as the only nutrition for a sustained effort. Other synthetics may not be depending on their specific menu blend of ingredients and how your body personally tolerates them.

Gu and other SIMILAR synthetics are generally short term duration foods up to half distance Tris or say 5 or 6 hrs. But not all synthetics are just simple sugars. Past that, iron distance events, dbl century or longer bike rides for example, normal foods, things like, boiled potatoes, bagels, fruit and sandwiches are generally the choices of those involved. Most will physically tolerate them better.

The reason is the tempo is slower and endurance more important that the "faster" events of something that is less than 1/2 the time generally. Slower tempos allow you to digest "normal" foods.

But everyone is different and the combination of the synthetic to real food involved gets more important as the time involved and/or tempo decreases or increases. Most will have found a combination that will work for you specifically by the time you get to the 5+ hr races, events or climbs. And most find that the biggest barrier to break while racing long events is keeping track of your nutrition without a pre packaged synthetic.

How does this all relate to climbing? Sandwiches and boiled potatoes freeze generally if you are in the mountains but not always. So again you have to be careful on how you pick and choose.

Gu and similar simple sugar based products DO "jack your blood sugar around". What you ingest with them them and how often is one key to using them to your advantage.

But the synthetic type foods are also one of the few food items that doesn't freeze on a cold climb. Big advantage in the mtns when required. Think 60hrs on the Solvak for Twight, House and Backes. A real "race" tempo and cold weather. Perfect place for GU "like" nutrition.

Go back to the basics and you'll realise that you have two to four hrs of glycogen storage while working at a hard pace. Either keep that tank full by slowing down or learn to refill it on the move. Once empty it is a bitch to refill.

The longer your "event", the slower your required pace/tempo are and the less likely you are to empty the glycogen tank with even moderate knowledgeand attention to nutrition.

It is all a matter of degree. Think of what it takes to do the N. Face of Chair C2C in a 16hr day and what it takes to do the same climb, same conditions in 4 hrs C2C. 8 days on the Slovak or 60 hrs there? Hydration and nutrition requirements are different, as are the clothing.

Think your 5k pace compared to your marathon pace.

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has had the discipline to time GU shots (like Twight's one per 30 minutes of climbing, on a watch timer) while climbing as opposed to using while running a race where the environment is much more heavily controlled. Perhaps the blood sugar issues are from waiting until you are seriously hypoglycemic to eat a GU. The few times I believe I've been able to maintain proper blood sugar levels constantly did make a difference, even for my poorly-trained n00b ass. Similarly, Twight seemed to explain GU as a tool that got you between actual meals where you were setting up camp/bivy and could properly ingest food, not as a substitute for "real" food.

I have done both climbing (30+ hr events) and in races, up to dbl centuries on the bike and IM length tris (all stuff under 16/18 hrs).

Talk to the other guys that have and you'll find everyone is different.

No way I can do one every 30 minutes no matter the level of effort I am at. One an hr works for me depending on pace or 1 maybe 2 every 1.5 hrs. typically climbing keeps me happy.

Twight is/was an alien fitness wise. I can't go at a pace (even in a race) to require 1 Gu an hr. I have no doubt Twight still can even in the mtns and I out weight Mark by 30# easy.

I agree, most don't eat soon enough or often enough which will cause extreme swings in the blood sugar level.

Good nutrtion just helps us poorly trained noobs do better :)

Much of Mark's writings on nutrition will be well suplimented by the endurance training info published by Joe Freil and his co authors.

Pretty much pre-digested edible food-like substance so you don't have to divert extra blood to your stomach to bother with things like digestion.

Pre-masticated/pre-processed I can believe, like those birds that puke into their babies mouths. But digestion is the process of extracting nutrients from food and turning it into feces. If it was really "pre-digested" I would expect it to taste a lot like shit.