Utah ice?

Dane

A buddy just did "Angel of Fear" which hasn't been this fat in something like 20+ years. Makes me want some of that Utah goodness before it falls down...if it hasn't already!

Kolin's and Bill's photos.....way to GET some guys!

agj.jpg

I'm thinking this is just showing off :)

agk.jpg

agl.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whachyoutalkinboutwillis? - sure wasn't looking like that when it was actually cold out - wonder what made them think it'd be good concidering all else is falling down....good on em!

on a sad note, gary coleman, a resident of santaquin, was in the hospital the other day

Santaquin is 1/2 hour south of Provo and requires about an hour road walk (or 5 min snowmachine hitchhike :) ). It gets the full bore of late morning-early afternoon sun. Lots of HARD mixed routes in the canyon and some excellent 1-3 pitch moderates (WI3-5+)

warm temps make for easy sticks right now, but everything is melting. ice turning white and sloughing and spalling. accelerating creep will have any pillar top-cracked soon and then falling down. i soloed a little myself up the lcc yesterday. then i went jogging in town in the mid 50s temps. slc is fun every now and then.

Thanks! Found this from your directions. Looks really condition dependant.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/utah/wasatch_range/santaquin_canyon/106458405

Rope gun at BD soloed this (Automatic)and Angel the other morning...

106081635_medium_163148.jpg

looks good, i backed off that thing a couple years back. Not the pillar but the approach pitch had these crazy mushrooms that were four feet apart. Always wanted to come back and send that and the pencil.

Hehe, That is me leading in the third picture. Brian Smoot who did the FA in 85 was belaying me on the last pitch.

The ice was pretty picked out so lots of hooking. We got a good dump of snow this morning so the ski in / out should be good.

Some good photos from the FA and more recent.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/utah/wasatch_range/santaquin_canyon/105881407