Triple Couloirs

bonathanjarrett

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no route conditions forecaster, but based from what I saw on a similar aspect in the area from a couple weeks ago, and this skiing trip report from TAY...

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=15433.0

...from this past weekend with similar pictures and conditions that we saw:

At around 7K' we saw 1.5' of unconsolidated powder followed by a firmer but still breakable 1" layer, more unconsolidated powder for a little over a foot and then a very hard ice layer that would probably hold a step. Temps have stayed pretty cold up high for the last weeks, no high pressure systems blowing through, no reported inversions, dudes skied "lightly breakable Styrofoam powder to blower faceshots" on Aasgard which is a pretty similar aspect in that area, although not as steep as the gullies on the face.

Again, I'm no conditions forecaster but I would think that all that snow you see on the gullies could be unconsolidated and deep, just like the similar aspects - at least that's what I have been telling myself. But I'm a wuss so maybe someone should just prove me wrong and blast a trough up that thing.

Although I think it would be in great skiing condition right now if anyone wants to take a shot.

Nothing to add other than I've been up there in Feb before because I could have sworn there was a freeze thaw cycle going on in the weather forecast. Wallowing in deep powder, great for skiing, not for climbing. It's north facing, so it really needs to actually get pretty warm up there during the day a bit for things to consolidate more.