Why do people brag about the hours they work?

gertlush

What's all this talk about work ethics & shit... I've met lots of successful people who work hard but don't feel the need to bust their ass, both corporate & entrepreneurs. Just because you have a sensible work/life balance doesn't mean you're a slacker. I was more thinking about people who have to tell everyone how indispensable & important they are by the time they put in. It probably just means you're working inefficiently.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's all this talk about work ethics & shit... I've met lots of successful people who work hard but don't feel the need to bust their ass, both corporate & entrepreneurs. Just because you have a sensible work/life balance doesn't mean you're a slacker. I was more thinking about people who have to tell everyone how indispensable & important they are by the time they put in. It probably just means you're working inefficiently.

could you cram some more buzzwords in corporate lackey?

the world need's lazy ass people like yourself.. you are a coontributer and don't even know it :wave:

i believe that a successful work/life balance is tightly-coupled to an open and honest corporate culture which fosters personal responsibility and healthy cross-group collaboration, while creating incentives to encourage a passion for quality which will drive us forward towards results within an environment of self-critical awareness. Properly rewarding strong contributions that demonstrate a consistent level of impact and influence will also go a long way towards growing teams in which interpersonal awareness influences a strong corporate culture of mutual respect wherein individuals can learn to fully leverage their potential in an diverse and respectful environment of shared trust and acceptance.

$$$$$$$$$$$

i believe that a successful work/life balance is tightly-coupled to an open and honest corporate culture which fosters personal responsibility and healthy cross-group collaboration, while creating incentives to encourage a passion for quality which will drive us forward towards results within an environment of self-critical awareness. Properly rewarding strong contributions that demonstrate a consistent level of impact and influence will also go a long way towards growing teams in which interpersonal awareness influences a strong corporate culture of mutual respect wherein individuals can learn to fully leverage their potential in an diverse and respectful environment of shared trust and acceptance.

$$$$$$$$$$$

you almost got a bingo, but i don't see the word "sustainable" in there.

My last hooky day...I'm sitting at work and get the phone call from Jeff. "Have you looked outside". Me (having been doing little else but look out the window at the unusually warm sunny day with no rain at the very tail end of January about 3 days before Beacon Closes Feb 1. "Yeah".

"Lets go climb"

"Now? What, it's still cold out and kind of late, lap the corner, now?".

"Yes, right now".

I spoke into the phone "Let me ask if it's OK to leave"...before I'd even put my head up I hear "LEAVE!...Have fun"

Whooppp booob boob! Ran home, grabbed stuff. We were at Beacon and climbing by 3pm and at the car by 5pm, quitting time. Heading home as the sun dropped, feeling alive! So much fun!

THANKS JEFF!

$$$$$$$$$$$

9A64E8E2-A2C0-4915-A7A644573F8645C6.jpg

I think kids learn it from their parents, they either have it, or they don't.

or they develop something which might be called a "work ethic" once they are actually inspired by something beyond the simple need for a job.

maybe the kids you see simply aren't inspired or haven't found inspiration yet, and having someone tell them they are "lazy" or somesuch nonsense turns them off even more?

I think kids learn it from their parents, they either have it, or they don't.

or they develop something which might be called a "work ethic" once they are actually inspired by something beyond the simple need for a job.

maybe the kids you see simply aren't inspired or haven't found inspiration yet, and having someone tell them they are "lazy" or somesuch nonsense turns them off even more?

I never tell kids they are lazy, even when they are. I do tell the class as a whole that if you expect to get anywhere in the media field (web design, 3D, video, etc), be prepared to work your butt off so you can get good enough to stand out from the crowd.

Regarding the aptitude, attitude thing... obviously someone who has excellent attendance and a great attitude but is simply not smart, is not a good hire. But given those two qualities, and normal intelligence, I would hire them anytime over a flaky genius.

That has been the story of my life. I have just average intelligence, but because I am always there, and always interested in learning more, challenging myself, I've managed to learn a lot, and stay gainfully employed.

I do try to instill a work ethic in kids who don't have one, by getting them excited about the beauty we can create in the media field. I've even seen a few who didn't have a work ethic come back to our program after 4 years flipping burgers. They admitted they were lazy before, and were finally serious about college, and went on to get a great job.

I never tell kids they are lazy, even when they are. I do tell the class as a whole that if you expect to get anywhere in the media field (web design, 3D, video, etc), be prepared to work your butt off so you can get good enough to stand out from the crowd.

What do you tell the kids who don't want to make their way to the top using their knees?