9. The Passenger, South Early Winter Spire 11+

10. West Face, Colchuck Balanced Rock 11+

*edited to reflect changes

Any thoughts? What's missing?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LEAVENWORTH, Wash. (AP) - People who look forward to camping in one of the most popular wilderness areas in the Cascades will have to get their applications in earlier this year.

Only 1,500 overnight permits are issued for north-central Washington's Enchantments each year.

Rich Haydon, who coordinates the program for the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, said the number of applications has doubled in recent years and the agency needs more time to process applications.

For that reason, the application period has been moved up by three weeks this year, to Feb. 1-8. Applications postmarked before Feb. 1 will be rejected, and applications received after Feb. 8 will not be processed until all on-time applications have been considered.

Permits will continue to be $5 per person per day.

Off - I guess if you need to use an overnight permit it's an alpine route otherwise it's a crag route.

I didn't include Liberty Bell, cuz it just doesn't seem like it had been truly freed. If I remember correctly Brooke Sandahl protected sections of the climb by clipping loops of rope that was fixed from an anchor above. Well this doesn't seem completely legit, Ill let it slide and add it to the list.

I limited the Baring climb's to Vanishing Point because I haven't seen/heard any info about the myriad of Doorish routes up there (or for that matter Vanishing Point too). If anybody can confirm their difficulty or quality I would love to add them to the list.

Kimmo, have you climbed VP? I've only heard of these dudes climb it, and an attempt by Fitz Cahall and the late Ryan Triplett. Still waiting for that beta and topo Fitz... I'll drop it to 12-.

Grade on Tempest Wall changed. Girth Pillar knocked off the list.

By "Top" I mean quality routes. A couple harder climbs that didn't make the list due to lack of quality: Tooth and Claw, North Face of SEWS (might by a good route, but a weird start and such).

Doesn't it seems like WA state is lacking in higher end alpine free climbs? It's just not a very big list.

By "Top" I mean quality routes. A couple harder climbs that didn't make the list due to lack of quality: Tooth and Claw, North Face of SEWS (might by a good route, but a weird start and such).

If you must limit it to just 10 GP is higher quality (cleaner) and more committing then West Face of Gunsight Main Peak IMO.

Gunsight might clean up with more traffic but given in the same amount of time it takes to reach the base you can drive to Squamish and do harder, longer, cleaner routes I dont see that happening.

Kimmo, have you climbed VP? I've only heard of these dudes climb it, and an attempt by Fitz Cahall and the late Ryan Triplett. Still waiting for that beta and topo Fitz... I'll drop it to 12-.

Grade on Tempest Wall changed. Girth Pillar knocked off the list.

climbed it maybe 5 years ago? really good route.

yeah and Full Tilt (crux pitch of tempest) was given straight up 5.12, and other feed-back seems to confirm.

I can't really comment on the "top 10" in terms of quality routes as I have only done a couple of the routes listed below. Here is a list of a few of the other hard routes out there:

1. Liberty crack, Liberty Bell 13-

2. Thin Red Line, Liberty Bell 12+

3. The Tempest Wall, Colchuck Balanced Rock 12

4. Vanishing Point, Dolomite Tower, Mt. Baring 12

5. Northwest passage, Dolomite Tower, Mt. Baring 12-

6. Independence Route, Liberty Bell, 12-

7. Dragons of Eden, Dragontail Pk. 12-

8. Pangaea, NEWS, 12-

9. Tooth and Claw, NEWS 12-

10. West Face, North Gunsight Pk. 11+

11. The Passenger, South Early Winter Spire 11+

12. West Face, Colchuck Balanced Rock 11+

13. The Scoop, Colchuck Balanced Rock 11+

14. The Passenger, SEWS 11+

15. Northeast rib, Dolomite Tower, Mt. Baring 11+

16. Der Sportsmen, Prusik Pk. 11+

17. Devil finds work, Dolomite Tower, Mt. Baring 11

18. Dragonfly, Dragontail 11

19. Supercave, M&M wall, 11

20. Gorilla’s in the mist, Mt. Stuart 11

21. The Girth Pillar, Mt. Stuart 11-

Girth Pillar knocked off the list.

By "Top" I mean quality routes.

While I haven't done it, at what 11b/c, it's hard enough for your list and the position looks absolutely astounding compared to just about every other route on your list. Seems to me it's definitely Top 10 if not by grade alone.

Doesn't it seems like WA state is lacking in higher end alpine free climbs? It's just not a very big list.

Compared to Chamonix maybe. Maybe I'm gonna get skewered here but look anywhere else in the US and the spread just isn't there. Pretty much every range has only a very limited number of peaks where rock quality and access allow the development of high end free climbs. In CO you'ver got The Diamond and some hard routes on Spearhead. In CA? The Hulk and east face of Whitney/Keiler. Wind Rivers? some hard stuff on Mt Hooker. Scattering of 11s and 12s in the Tetons. In the Sawtooths it's pretty much all Elephants Head. How about the Coast Range of SW BC? Hardest (completed) route on Slesse is 10+ though across the valley there are a bunch of 11s on the Nesakwatch Spires....I forgot what I was talking about.

where'd ya hear about 5.11 x pitches?

That youtube video... Burdo says something like that about the filter pitches.

maybe it used to be X, before he added bolts....

when we climbed it, i'd say there was a bit of PG type 5.9 runout up high on the route, approaching the big roof. everything else seemed well protected, either with gear or bolts.

where'd ya hear about 5.11 x pitches?

That youtube video... Burdo says something like that about the filter pitches.

maybe it used to be X, before he added bolts....

when we climbed it, i'd say there was a bit of PG type 5.9 runout up high on the route, approaching the big roof. everything else seemed well protected, either with gear or bolts.

Okay cool, yeah it sounded to me like there was some runout 5.11 in some overhanging corners. Thanks for clearing that up, I hope I can find a way to get out there and try it sometime...