Back to the future!

Peter_Puget

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH I agree he is losing the left wing too.. He has proven not to be a leader on the national level by letting the Senate and House spin out of control; he has proven not to be bipartisan as he once promised and he has proven to be ineffective on the international scene. In short it is quite possible that his presidency will be a total failure unless he changes course. The direction of change needs to be towards the middle. These failures aren’t the result of a flaming pile of shit he inherited but of his own political shortcomings. Compare to Reagan in the early 80s.

Besides wishful thinking by right-wingers and corporate media pundits, there is no evidence that Obama is losing the center. Not only is there no evidence of it, but there is no reason for it since Obama hasn't done anything to rattle the center. He compromised way too much in the name of bi-partisanship. Bi-partisanship that isn't attainable with the party of obstruction no matter what Obama does. The only way Democrats are going to win in 2010 and beyond (assuming the wingnuts don't split up first), is by governing resolutely to the left and giving to the 2/3 of Americans who wants progressive policy a real reason to go vote.

Many of the polls in my previous posts suggest that he has lost the "center." Obama's appeal was primarily aesthetic and after that has lost its lustre he has very little. I wonder how many still get chills up their leg when he speaks. I think losing the support of the entire political spectrum is pretty unique and unless he changes course (think Clinton) soon there might be a real change coming.

The crazy thing is that very few of the former Obami will ever come out and admit that their political choice was nothing more than adolescent puppy love.

Many of the polls in my previous posts suggest that he has lost the "center."

Nothing in these polls suggest he has lost the center. The polls suggest his support from independents is decreasing. Lo and behold, there are many independents on the left as shown by many polls such as this one:"Meanwhile, if the public option and Medicare buy-in are added, 58 percent of people support the idea. The number of Republican supporters drops to 22 percent, but independent support rises to 57 percent and Democratic support to a whopping 88 percent."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/18/poll-health-care-reform-w_n_396990.html

Obama's appeal was primarily aesthetic and after that has lost its lustre he has very little.

Nope. Obama's appeal was because he told people he was going to fight for single payer healthcare, to re-regulate wall-street, to end wars, to end the revolving door between gov and business in washington, to end torture, etc ...

all this talk of the center puts me in the mood for onna my fav'rite poems (thanks yeats!):

TURNING and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

tmsaltvampire.jpg

Obama by being something for everyone was really nothing and was bound to to dissapoint. Obama became everone's great desire....

One minute he's a partisan left wing ideologue with no regard for conservatives, now you're admitting that his efforts to satisfy everyone have satified no one. So is he bipartisan or a dictator?

And either way, what would you have preferred?

I'll admit, I liked the things he had to say, even if I was skeptical. So far, however, he appears to be backtracking on all of it and maintaining very much the same status quo. Surprising? Not so much. Disappointing? Absolutely. Does this mean I'll vote republican next time? With the current state of their leadership and tired, recycled, failed messages, not on your life. Both parties are totally incompetant. Your celebration of the country becoming totally jaded and having no options is puzzling. Funny how conservatives deride those who voted for Obama for putting stock in the words of the president. Yet defended Bush to the very end even as the whole house was burning.

One minute he's a partisan left wing ideologue with no regard for conservatives, now you're admitting that his efforts to satisfy everyone have satified no one. So is he bipartisan or a dictator?

And either way, what would you have preferred?

He isn't failing because he has tried to please everyone. He has failed because he broke promises (eg being bipartisan), is a left wingnut and hasn't exhibited the skills needed for being a successful President.

By the way I was voted down the other day trying to watch your show. Grrr.

Nope. Obama's appeal was because he told people he was going to fight for single payer healthcare, to re-regulate wall-street, to end wars, to end the revolving door between gov and business in washington, to end torture, etc ...

Yup....too bad he is ending up to be an enormous pussy.

He isn't failing because he has tried to please everyone. He has failed because he broke promises (eg being bipartisan), is a left wingnut and hasn't exhibited the skills needed for being a successful President.

Arguing with you people is like getting kicked in the balls...in the brain.

Here is a great example of his lack of gravitas or new and exciting ideas. From the Guardian (that right wing bastion of evil!)

By the time Obama rose to give his speech before more than 110 leaders, there was enormous speculation about what he would say or do. But there was broad agreement that he would not arrive empty-handed. He would bring specific promises of action.

[snip]

What he could not do, however, if he hoped his presence would indeed help bring the summit to a deal, was leave Copenhagen without offering clear evidence to the 192 countries assembled here that he would push, and push hard, to make sure America did its share on climate change. After all, this was Obama's second trip to Copenhagen in a matter of weeks. The last time he was here, to push Chicago's bid to host the Olympics, Obama and his wife, Michelle, fell back on their store of compelling personal narratives to get things done.

It didn't work then and it won't work now.

linky

Spare us the drivel PP. The only ideas he needed for Copenhagen were to commit to reducing significantly GHG emissions by 2020 and to funding clean technology transfers toward developing nations (nothing "new" in there). He simply didn't want to do that, similarly to previous administrations.

PP only wants you to "educate" him and "elevate the discourse" when you answer his regurgitation of conservatives talking points.

No internal consistency is needed in wingnutia. ANything will do to obstruct change, seed confusion, and protect corporatocracy.

J_B -

Here are your last three posts.

Post #1

Spare us the drivel PP. The only ideas he needed for Copenhagen were to commit to reducing significantly GHG emissions by 2020 and to funding clean technology transfers toward developing nations (nothing "new" in there). He simply didn't want to do that, similarly to previous administrations.

Post #2

PP only wants you to "educate" him and "elevate the discourse" when you answer his regurgitation of conservatives talking points.

Post #3

No internal consistency is needed in wingnutia. ANything will do to obstruct change, seed confusion, and protect corporatocracy.

Come on J_B they are not very nice. Mr Seagal disagreed with me and I relied in a friendly manner. See below:

By the way I was voted down the other day trying to watch your show. Grrr.

Go get a candy cane and get with the holiday spirit.

Happy solstice PP. I am sure you'll find a pair that fits for your fingering endeavors:

jackboots.jpg

I also hear that Birch Society membership is highly prized among tea-baggers, and if you haven't joined yet perhaps you'll get the spray crew to spring a dime or two.