Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber

      WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
snowleopard_x

In Portland

Recommended Posts

There are two main climbing gyms in Portland:

The Rock Gym is located at 2034 SE Sixth (off Lincoln), (503) 232-8310.

Stoneworks is at 6775 SW 111th, (503) 644-3517.

The Rock Gym is a little larger, and has been around longer. Stoneworks is has more aesthetic surroundings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used to be a member at PRG! That place is tight and they have really good route setters! At least when i was there about 2 years ago they did! I used to love it! I would recomend it if anyone is in the area!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRG is definitely the better place (versus Stoneworks) to check out. It's about 2/3rds bouldering, with lotsa tricky + creative problems. There's about 4-5 lead lines (mostly steep) and maybe 10-12 TRs up at any one time. It's pretty lo-fi and a little bit dusty, but the folks there are real. It's also about a 5 min. bike ride from downtown.

 

Stoneworks on the other hand...why, that's in Beaverton! Don't make to the 'burbs much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there is no comparison in the size of the two, PRG is definitely a larger gym, I would hesitate to call it a better gym. I have climbed at both gyms and have found, in my experience, a very elitist attitude at PRG. Stoneworks on the other hand, while being much smaller, is by far friendlier and more of what I would call a "climbers"gym. Everybody from the staff (who remember your name after one visit) to the regulars are helpful and encouraging. SW will never have the sq. ft. that PRG enjoys, but they have recently finished an expansion that will afford climbers the opportunity for lead climbing. Obviously your current location will have a lot to do with which gym you go to, but for my money Stoneworks is my gym of choice. Just my .02!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget Club Sport. It is probably the largest and best, by far, facility in the PDX area. Only problem is it is in the burbs (so is stone works) and it is yuppie land (MILF's in spandex and make up).

 

Supposedly PRG is building a new stellar facility, but you just have to deal with attitude.

 

My $0.03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is PRG's new place going to be where it used to be or are they building a completely new gym someplace else? I'm in Vancouver, WA for the summer so I'll be in Portland climbing a lot. I've also been to the Club Sport and it is pretty nice. Does anyone know how much it is for a day pass at Club Sport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarshMan19 said:

Is PRG's new place going to be where it used to be or are they building a completely new gym someplace else? I'm in Vancouver, WA for the summer so I'll be in Portland climbing a lot. I've also been to the Club Sport and it is pretty nice. Does anyone know how much it is for a day pass at Club Sport?

 

Day passes at Club Sport, if DFA remembers right, are 15 bucks (i.e. just under half the cost of a MONTH at the PRG). Also, the new PRG is being built at the intersection of Sandy & Burnside, across Burnside from Hippo Hardware. They've got the footings down, and it looks like they'll be starting on the CMU walls pretty soon (perhaps today?). Supposedly it should be done this fall, but construction projects never finish on time, so who knows? Hopefully by the end of the year, though. It's gonna be sick. Walls are all gonna be by Compwall, and they'll have separate roped and bouldering areas for less clusterage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to post a question on where gyms were in Portland, and then I found this! Thanx!

Dancing will again bring me to the northwest. It's so nice to get out of Vegas during the summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmberBuxom said:

I was going to post a question on where gyms were in Portland, and then I found this! Thanx!

Dancing will again bring me to the northwest. It's so nice to get out of Vegas during the summer!

ill hold your rope if you hold mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

MarshMan19 said:

Is PRG's new place going to be where it used to be or are they building a completely new gym someplace else? I'm in Vancouver, WA for the summer so I'll be in Portland climbing a lot. I've also been to the Club Sport and it is pretty nice. Does anyone know how much it is for a day pass at Club Sport?

 

Day passes at Club Sport, if DFA remembers right, are 15 bucks (i.e. just under half the cost of a MONTH at the PRG). Also, the new PRG is being built at the intersection of Sandy & Burnside, across Burnside from Hippo Hardware. They've got the footings down, and it looks like they'll be starting on the CMU walls pretty soon (perhaps today?). Supposedly it should be done this fall, but construction projects never finish on time, so who knows? Hopefully by the end of the year, though. It's gonna be sick. Walls are all gonna be by Compwall, and they'll have separate roped and bouldering areas for less clusterage.

 

I saw the new building yesterday and it's coming along nicely. Also, they said they'll be offering more yoga classes (as much as 3x a day). What more could you want in a gym? smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRG is building a brand spankin new gym on NE 12th and Burnside. They have the building completed and the steel forms up but no climbing surface as yet. Gary tells us it will be finished by the end of the year. Higher lead walls, more climbing wall, and more bouldering as well but the ration of climbing to bouldering should be getting a little better. Tell him Kevin sent you, maybe I'll get a deal grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRG is stylin for sure...tons of lead routes (BYOR, bring your own rope)...huge bouldering area...good times for those wet days in the land of Port

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha, yeah, PRG is pretty clicky... you're either acquainted with someone in the awesome boulderer posse, or you climb alone and they avoid eye contact while waiting for you to get off their problem. yellaf.gifconfused.gif Not that I really know what I'm talking about, I just went there a couple of times, tagging along with one of the cool guys. cool.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to fear at the PRG. I go there with the g/f on the days we have off together (rare) and to keep a little in shape for the rock, when I'm not in the alpine snow/ice.

 

I never have a problem there. The new facility is pretty nice. I think that you can find cliques wherever you go, if you look for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol...too funny!

I tend to make friends with just about everyone so it's no big to me.

I'm in that "in between stage". I've been climbing far too long to be considered a "noob"...but don't climb hard enough to be considered a rockjock...

Which means, I can spin my tall tales of sketchy trad leads on manky pro at Josh...none of which are over 10c...and my near sport onsites of 11d's (sandbagged or not, I didn't rate 'em)

So I climb my 10's...and work my 11's...and flail on V3's...in the end, it's ALL 5.FUN

 

(wanna talk aboubt 'clicky'...try climbing at rockcreation in LA...LOL!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lol...too funny!

I tend to make friends with just about everyone so it's no big to me.

I'm in that "in between stage". I've been climbing far too long to be considered a "noob"...but don't climb hard enough to be considered a rockjock...

Which means, I can spin my tall tales of sketchy trad leads on manky pro at Josh...none of which are over 10c...and my near sport onsites of 11d's (sandbagged or not, I didn't rate 'em)

So I climb my 10's...and work my 11's...and flail on V3's...in the end, it's ALL 5.FUN

 

(wanna talk aboubt 'clicky'...try climbing at rockcreation in LA...LOL!!)

______________________________________________________

 

Hey Noob, where hell have ya been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×