Beacon

kevbone

40% chance of rain for closing day, anyone up for a lap or two? (weather permitting, of course)

If it's dry, I will be out. Look me up.

how damp did it get today? i couldn't be out there earlier than 4 i don't think, but the moon is getting pretty near full, isn't it?

I was working in the yard most of the day and did not see any rain at all. As long as it doesn't rain overnight, I think the corner should be doable. I'll be out earlier but might stay later if I can get grams to watch the rug rats...

...feeling undeniably glum that this Tragedy with Undertones of Tradition is once again setting in...

I'm requesting that the seasonal onset of Bitching About Beacon not occur this year, or I'll be making some deletions. Its not a positive or acceptable use of this forum.

strange, i seem to recall the forum was created more or less specifically to contain the bitching and keep it out of all the other honest, god-fearing forums :)

...feeling undeniably glum that this Tragedy with Undertones of Tradition is once again setting in...

I'm requesting that the seasonal onset of Bitching About Beacon not occur this year, or I'll be making some deletions. Its not a positive or acceptable use of this forum.

strange, i seem to recall the forum was created more or less specifically to contain the bitching and keep it out of all the other honest, god-fearing forums :)

Beatards, Beatards, Beatards!!! Occupy BEACON or DIE!

nice enough close to the season, little damp towards dark, more than a few folks scaling slimy stone - never like to see The Man down there :noway: - the phuzzy did a stand-up job of policing up all the personal effects i kept trying to leave lying about and wouldn't have seen till july :)

beautiful weather this weekend - who's interested in a n side rager saturday night? :rawk:

i think the point is that even when contained in this forum, the seasonal beacon bitchfest is excessive. 6 months of climbing followed by 6 months of bitching -- not as "balanced" as it sounds.

i think the point is that even when contained in this forum, the seasonal beacon bitchfest is excessive. 6 months of climbing followed by 6 months of bitching -- not as "balanced" as it sounds.

not that anyone should ever be so bored as to research it for the specific details, but a casual glance back over the bitching shows there's not half a baker's dozen of real bitchers on the subject - for several seasons now i've been downright zen in accepting the closure and having plenty of fun elsewhere and on the n side - most of the badnoise has come from folks not doing all that much clibming out there even during the in-season, no?

get a kitchen-pass for saturday night n' bring it! party at the moon tower! looks like sunny skies n' a big old moon too :rawk:

Big "stuff" has to happen on the nights like that :poke:.

pat's donw this weekend, devushka - the forecast is so good might well ditch the big b for a party up at illumination and something on the w side the day after?

pat's donw this weekend, devushka - the forecast is so good might well ditch the big b for a party up at illumination and something on the w side the day after?

Cool! I have a C2C run up on the NF on Sat but Sun would be fine by me. Just need a few hours of sleep somewhere in between. I hope not to hallucinate much this time and not to end up in the private swimming pools at the T-lodge looking for the O/N parking lot! :noway:

Will email you.

The comments on the closure from my post above were related to a proposal for a Beacon partial-closure which was recently put together and passionately presented to the BRSP (and not posted here of course). All well and good, except the BRSP and WSP have no say whatsoever in the Beacon Peregrine Closure - its management is entirely under the authority of the WDFW and the BRSP only provides local enforcement services relative to it.

And it's not like this fact hasn't been gone over again and again and reiterated both here and in person by three successive BRSP head rangers in a row. That such a proposal would go to the BRSP instead of the WDFW this late in the game (and especially when Kenny works for 'the man') speaks to the degree folks still simply aren't 'getting it' relative to the closure. Seems like there is still an absolute refusal to stop living in a victimal alternate reality bubble driven by the overwhelming unfairness of it all. And presenting this proposal to the wrong agency can't really be taken as anything other than a sure sign of a lingering belief that, "if we could just explain it right and make the right people understand, then they'll finally realize just how unfair it all is to us climbers and change the closure."

It's the same indignant, self-absorbed thinking that's gone on since '96 to absolutely no avail. And when the WDFW gets this sort of thing in a lateral hand-off from the wrong agency it likely tells them the folks involved didn't bother to figure out the most basic aspects of the closure let alone why it exists, the history of Peregrines and such closures, the biology behind it, what Beacon represents to the effort to restore Peregrines to their natural NW range and breeding pair count, what impact wind power has had on raptors, how the Beacon closure compares to similar closures around the country, what resource demands enforcement and ongoing management entails, and what the AF's position on similar closures are.

In short, the odds are good it instead gets interpreted as an emotional plea by folks who are only focused on their own needs and not interested in the bigger picture or context in which the closure operates. In the end, the search for 'sympathetic ears' is pointless as that's not how the laws and management policy around the closure work - if anything - they are explicitly designed to remove such emotional perceptions and appeals from the process.

Again, if you are serious about this proposal then you need to make an appointment to present it to the appropriate WDFW representative and start a discussion with the agency. It of course would be helpful if you developed a relationship with them based on mutual respect and trust, have some idea of the scope and scale of the forty year investment they have into the effort, have read the related laws and policy, and understand where their position and viewpoint as well as you understand your own.

The comments on the closure from my post above were related to a proposal for a Beacon partial-closure which was recently put together and passionately presented to the BRSP (and not posted here of course). All well and good, except the BRSP and WSP have no say whatsoever in the Beacon Peregrine Closure - its management is entirely under the authority of the WDFW and the BRSP only provides local enforcement services relative to it.

And it's not like this fact hasn't been gone over again and again and reiterated both here and in person by three successive BRSP head rangers in a row. That such a proposal would go to the BRSP instead of the WDFW this late in the game (and especially when Kenny works for 'the man') speaks to the degree folks still simply aren't 'getting it' relative to the closure. Seems like there is still an absolute refusal to stop living in a victimal alternate reality bubble driven by the overwhelming unfairness of it all. And presenting this proposal to the wrong agency can't really be taken as anything other than a sure sign of a lingering belief that, "if we could just explain it right and make the right people understand, then they'll finally realize just how unfair it all is to us climbers and change the closure."

It's the same indignant, self-absorbed thinking that's gone on since '96 to absolutely no avail. And when the WDFW gets this sort of thing in a lateral hand-off from the wrong agency it likely tells them the folks involved didn't bother to figure out the most basic aspects of the closure let alone why it exists, the history of Peregrines and such closures, the biology behind it, what Beacon represents to the effort to restore Peregrines to their natural NW range and breeding pair count, what impact wind power has had on raptors, how the Beacon closure compares to similar closures around the country, what resource demands enforcement and ongoing management entails, and what the AF's position on similar closures are.

In short, the odds are good it instead gets interpreted as an emotional plea by folks who are only focused on their own needs and not interested in the bigger picture or context in which the closure operates. In the end, the search for 'sympathetic ears' is pointless as that's not how the laws and management policy around the closure work - if anything - they are explicitly designed to remove such emotional perceptions and appeals from the process.

Again, if you are serious about this proposal then you need to make an appointment to present it to the appropriate WDFW representative and start a discussion with the agency. It of course would be helpful if you developed a relationship with them based on mutual respect and trust, have some idea of the scope and scale of the forty year investment they have into the effort, have read the related laws and policy, and understand where their position and viewpoint as well as you understand your own.

You are such a downer.....like a wet blanket. And I disagree as usual.

You talk about mutual respect and trust. How many Beacon climbers have respect and trust towards you?

get a kitchen-pass for saturday night n' bring it! party at the moon tower! looks like sunny skies n' a big old moon too :rawk:

Big "stuff" has to happen on the nights like that :poke:.

Ledge slumber party:) count me in!

Coming soon to your TV on OPB/Oregon Field Guide. The Jim Opdyke special. Go Jim!

OPB_Filming_and_Tieton_Canyon_075.JPG

any word when that's coming out?

I'm definitely into seeing that one when it comes out. Would be nice to know when to have the DVR set...

Matching shirt and rope, the complete ensemble!

d