Ozone - Redhorn Gate Cleaned

Moonlight

Just wanted to let folks know that Redhorn Gate (5.9 - Gear to 4") on Middle Earth at Ozone was cleaned the other day. Its definitely climbable but slightly dirty and could still use another brushing. Tree in middle of crack gone, moss scrubbed, dirt brushed off. Hope it can see some traffic to stay clean!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to keep in mind - this was using a soft bristle brush to sweep the dirt off that had collected on ledges and in the crack from above. Wasn't really much lichen on this route - just a bush growing out of the crack that had taken over. What do you consider the preferred method for lichen removal?

That's really cool to hear that it was one of the first climbs, it seems to be an awesome climb - we've been climbing several of the mid-grade trad routes out there this summer. I noticed the other day that someone had also done some work on Siddhartha too, its just still a bit dirty, but getting better. The routes just need some traffic to keep them clean. And I agree the start is definitely a stout 5.9, but a really fun sequence!

hey moonlight, the other week i threw out a tick list of neglected ozone (mainly) trad routes. here are the good moderates from that list; go put some chalk on them!

opdycke crack at 9plus.

eight is enough at 8. (hardest 8 around, next to little wing)

there y'ar at 9 (corner hand crack, a second pitch above jacob's ladder)

tipp-topp at 9 (another second pitch, fingers in a corner)

ripper at 9 (more fingers, on the old school wall)

Crimper, I dont think the Opdycke crack is neglected. I have seen people climbing it frequently. And is stays clean all on its own due to the nature of the overhanging rock. Fun climb.

i agree - and 8 is enough will likely just fall the hell apart if you get too rough cleaning on it as it's pretty chossy (and not hard at all for a chump like me, but maybe being tall gives me some unfair advantage? stemming n' grabbing juggly jugs i recall :) )

The person who led will be glad to to hear its closer to 11.b - he got a little frustrated with the crux. We didn't get to Y'ar - we ran out of daylight and didn't have headlamps :), evil winter season! Sounds like you guys get out to Ozone quite a bit? We climbed about once a week all summer after work, now we're down to the occasional weekend. Definitly our fav local crag. I guess its back to garage bouldering for the winter...

you know, i've sent several harder-graded routes at ozone, but it took me at least 4 or 5 times to make the crux moves even on toprope on rolling thunder. that just shouldn't happen for me on a 10d sport climb.

then again, a couple 10d sport climbs on broughton's hanging garden wall seem about that hard (which is to say, more like 11b!) which is what i know kevin had in mind when he picked 10d as the grade.